Public transportation In Marrakech

Hi all,

What do you think about the means of transportation In Marrakech ?

Is the network of means of transportation well developed?
What modes of transport are available?

Do you use them?

How much is a fare?

Are they relatively safe?

What is the mean of transportation you use the most In Marrakech?

Thanks in advance for participating!

Driving in Morocco is a scarey thing, but if you are the type who wants the control you can rent a small older car or a scooter for about 400 MAD (about $40)a day or less. There are many agencies all over the city. Ask at a hotel or travel agency if you want one. Remember to tip who ever helps you, and you will never have trouble finding help again. Most areas of the city have good city Bus service that run about every 30 minutes. Many areas are served  by more than one route so if you miss one you can probably catch another one that will get you into the general area you are going. A bus ride is extremely cheap a fare is 3.50 MAD. There is no posted routes or schedule of times at the stops, so you just have to ask a local person which bus will get you where you want to go and wait for it. They are as a rule a rough ride, usually they are crowded so expect to stand and wear perfume. I use it nearly daily with no problem. Petite Taxi are everywhere and the fare is reasonable, but make sure driver turns on the meter when you get in. In a year and a half I only had one try and trick me (the American non-tourist) but, as I had taken the same short ride several times before, I knew what the fare should have been. I refused to pay more. Of course he accepted it, because he was in the wrong and didn't want to get the police involved. Most trips around the city are 20 MAD(about $2) or less, but the price jumps to about 100 MAD or more if you are going to or from the airport, I am not sure why, but unless I have heavy luggage I usually pay half that if I avoid taking a taxi all the way into the airport and walk that last couple blocks in and across the parking lots. That is about it for what there is for public transportation for inside the city. If you are traveling outside the city, there are several options. Commuter Trains, Buses, Grand Taxi, commercial tour groups, and private contractor driven cars. Fares will vary depending on where you are going and the level of luxury you expect. I hope this is the information that you were seeking.

Thanks for your contribution Nebraska Girl!

Harmonie.:)

thank you for that big explanations nebraska girl :)

400 MD is tooooooooo much, it's even more exoensive than Nebraska itself , drove thru it several times bTW :)

anaexpat,
I agree, but I didn't set the price on the car rentals, I just passed on my experience with a few different car rentals here in Marrakech. If you know of a cheaper alternative, we all would love to know it....I am sure the rental dealership would love the business too.

As we live here in Marrakech, and because my husband works here, we bought a used bike for him to get around the city on a daily basis. It was rather inexpensive alternative to public transportation. As I said, I usually take the bus with the locals when I go out. The bus is just about the cheapest you can go and the people here are nice. The only problem I have ever encountered is that sometimes the bus drivers don't stop for  me, because they assume a white westerner is not actually waiting for the bus.

Thank you anaexpat & Nebraska Girl for contributing! ;)

Aurélie

Nebraska,

I totally agree with you, a bike is by all means the best way to get around within the city center, and it is indeed the most convenient medium to explore the fantastic old town streets

in regards to the bus drivers, I am pretty sure if you wave they'll stop for you, just make sure you hold your Louis Vetton with your stronger hand :)

you think that 40$ is too expensive than you may think about  staying at home and watch TV.

Rent any car  in Europe , you have to pay at less 70 euros ..

Take a taxi in Morocco is the way to go.. for $2 ...
Don't  forget to give some Tips ..10 DH extra  with smile..

You have take 4 Pounds as simple trip in London Underground..

Hello everyone,
Please read my postings from above.
I just wanted to update everyone that the price of riding the bus here in Marrakech has gone up to 4 dirhams...still around 50 cents. It is still the most economical way to get around the city. The service around the city has increased, but the routes and schedules are still not posted anywhere. I have learned that if you know the major land mark near your destination, the bus driver can tell you if his route can drop you near that location or he can suggest the correct bus for you to use. Some drivers speak some English, but it is best to assume he doesn't and use French when ever you try to speak to one.
Happy travels

Hi guys, one think Nebraska Girl didn't talk about is FriendRyde it's new in Marrakesh. you can schedugle a safe and cheap transportation from their website you know in advance how much you are going to pay it's very practical it's what i used when i was their few mounths ago. check out friendryde.com/