Employment Pass Rejected

You can try to gain university admission and apply for a students pass. It might or might not work, but without trying you'll never know.

Sorry, but altogether I think, your chances are pretty low.
You abused a visitor visa and that is something the Singapore authorities really dislike.
As you probably knew, it is not a good idea to break any rules in Singapore - so now you suffer the consequences of it.

I think She should wait 6 months. Because many people abuse student passes also. Let the ban lift, it won't look good in your records if you desperately try to apply for different kind of passes to gain entry in Singapore.

I said DP, because I assumed your boyfriend is also foreigner and in Singapore on EP (and earning above S$4000/month).
If he is Singaporean, the visa is called LTVP, but the situation is similar.
Please note that you'd not automatically be allowed to work in Singapore while on a DP or LTVP.

but you think that EP from reputable established company and with good salary in line with experience still has very slim chances? yes my boyfriend is also foreigner with EP and his salary is way above $4000/month.
lovenbliss you think that if I try to apply before 6 months I will worsen the situation or simply get one more rejection?
thank you so much!

I thought there wouldn't be any issue because technically I didn't break any rules. The law says that I am allowed to stay for 30 days in a row and I never exceeded the number of days. I was in Singapore looking for a job and it takes time to go through interviews etc. But again, the officer clearly had his own version of the story...no chance to that a lawyer can help?
thank you!!!

Hi all,

I just finished my bachelor's study last month and I just got a job recently and my employer is applying an S-Pass for me through an employment agency. My salary is 2.6k. Last Thursday, I was informed that my S Pass is rejected. They say that the problem is on me, not the employer. My employer then directly appealed the case to MOM. They also did mention that MOM identified us as a person with a FIN number. My questions:
1. My latest exam results will be released in August, so they just applied for me based on my Diploma qualifications but I also gave my second year exam results for submission. Does this affect the S pass application?
2. I took some part time job in SG during my holiday period. One day, the employer received an email which I believed is from MOM saying that I actually was not allowed to take part- time job. I was not fully aware of that until the employer stopped me from working and then I checked in MOM website that foreign students from my uni are not allowed to take a part-time job. Is this might be the one that cause my S pass to be rejected? And will it have any impact on my future application when applying for jobs in SG?
3. If let's say the appeal of the S-Pass is rejected, how long the time span to re-appeal? And how many times are allowed to make an appeal?

Now I just hope the appeal for the SPass will be approved.

Thanks in advance for replying!

Teweyty:
It is not clear from your post whether you studied in Singapore r elsewhere and whether you have any applicable work experience (other than the illegal part-time job).
- If you studied elsewhere and have no work experience, you will not get any work visa. The authorities believe Singapore does not need such people.
- If you studied elsewhere, your degree is recognised by MoM and you have at least 3 years applicable work experience, or some niche skills that Singapore needs, you have a chance to get a work visa.
- If you studied in Singapore in a field that is in demand (or if you have a bond), then you also have a chance to get a work visa even without work experience.
The following thus applies for the last two cases only:
1. MoM only considers the highest educational certificate that was submitted. If you do not have your degree cert yet, you are treated as a diploma holder.
2. Illegal work is a BIG no-no in Singapore. If you did this and MoM knows it, you will be blacklisted for at least a few years, in severe cases forever.
3. You cannot re-appeal, only appeal once. In any case appeals can only be successful if your circumstances changed sufficiently - appealing with the same information is a waste of time. A new application can be lodged (for a different job, or at a different employer) at any time.
Remark: With a university degree, you are supposed to apply for an EP (not S-Pass) and earn at least S$3300/month (fresh graduate level) to get one.

maryaz88 wrote:

I thought there wouldn't be any issue because technically I didn't break any rules. The law says that I am allowed to stay for 30 days in a row and I never exceeded the number of days. I was in Singapore looking for a job and it takes time to go through interviews etc. But again, the officer clearly had his own version of the story...no chance to that a lawyer can help?
thank you!!!

In Singapore, you need to follow not only the letter of the law, but also its purpose. You didn't.
You never have a right to work in Singapore and the authorities can decide to approve or reject you based on any reason they like. That is what they did.
No lawyer can help you - involving one will only make MoM more cross.
You could try to contact ICA and/or MoM to ask how long the ban will last. If you find a sympathetic officer, they might tell you (but they are not obliged to). It can be between six months and several years.
I'm sorry, but there is nothing else you can do.
Please follow the officer's (and my) advice to look for a job elsewhere until the ban is over.

Thanks for your quick reply, beppi. FYI, I took my bachelor's degree in Singapore. Just want to check with you, will MOM give the reasons why the pass is rejected after the appeal is unsuccessful?

Thanks for the replies

MoM does not usually disclose the reasons for rejection, but sometimes a sympathetic officer tells something when your employer asks nicely.

Hello beppi,

I just signed for a new job in Singapore (High level management in sales)
I m French and currently work in the US. I ve never been to singapore (except for 10 days holidays).
- Monthly salary S$9,000
- 5 years experiences (2 in south america, 3 in USA) - in same sector and sales
- Business school in France
- Single

Nobody asked me to translate my diplomas.
The company is a European Brand of Luxury Products.

I m afraid that the EP may be rejected... From your experience, what do you think?

Thanks a lot,

Selee

Your salary is rather high for the few years experience (which can be a rejection reason, too), but you might of course have niche skills that make you worth that much. Your company should explain that in the application.

Hi,

I got rejection for renewing my EP (I worked 2 years in Singapore) , and the company appeal 2 times and both are rejected and the last appeal they mention that appeal is not successful because :
"This candidate will not be granted a work pass. Further appeals will also not be successful."

I appreciate if someone got rejection for appeal to tell me do they have such thing or what exactly ?

Thanks

Mom is saying Candidate has all the credentials and is eligible for employment pass but they are not sure if company can pay the salary. Is there any solution ? Can appeal help ?

Zoomaro: Sorry, your post is too unspecific as to say why you were rejected.

Lovenbliss: This means you will easily get an EP with another (more solvent) company - or with this one after they improve their dinances.

Hi beppi,

Let me know what information i have to mention please ?

Thanks

zomaro wrote:

Let me know what information i have to mention please ?

Basically everything regarding your background, job offer, company, etc.
You may read on this forum or elsewhere in the net first about which reasons CAN led to a rejection and then mention the relevant points.

My employer is going forward with appeal. At the same time, I have found another employer who is willing to apply EP for me. which option should I take ? Do I need to ask the first one to withdraw appeal ? I am on visit pass. Do I need to exit the country even if  EP gets approved before visit pass expires ?

A company applied an employment pass for me. And it was rejected.. The mom replied that need to pass the payslip and bank account.. What is that mean?
Thanks

Exactly same thing as me. Ask your employer to give you payslip. He must be crediting salary into your account. So, you need to send them bank statement from your online bank account.

Hi, I still have a pass.. And it will end this coming Nov. This is a new company who was trying to apply for me as same of my pass right now im holding employment pass.. I was just wondering why suddenly the mom asking for payslip and bank account.. Which is I dont understand for yrs working here I was surprised that they will gonna asked that thing.. Thanks

Its routine. Its not sudden. You're trying for a new job. They want to check whether you've been getting salary or not.

Oh I see.. But the sad thing my employer wants to withdraw the application.. Thank you so much lovenbliss.. And thanks for your time..

Lovenbliss: You can only have ONE application ongoing at any one time, so the first employer would have to withdraw its appeal before the second can apply.

Yhang: MoM isn't always predictable, but you need to give them what they ask for, otherwise your pass will be rejected for sure.

Thank you lovenbliss..

Hi beppi,

This thread is very helpful. I actually would like to ask your opinion on my case.

So I studied in Singapore for two years since 2012 and received bachelor degree in IT in late 2014. Since then I have been trying to get myself a SPASS while working on a company on relevant role back in my hometown Indonesia (I have the advantage to leave for interviews). I worked since January.

I have gotten 4 SPASS application rejection from different employers and one EP rejection. Salary ranged 2200 - 2400 for spass and 3500 for EP. None of which has any information of the rejection. Until the most recent employer tried to contact MoM for SPass rejection.

The reason given was this candidate is not elligible. And thats it, not much detail. When employer tried to appeal MoM agents mentioned that the outcome will also rejected and the issue was specific to candidate. So employer decided not to appeal.

I actually quite confuse at first. Because I have done the SAT and I am eligible. Would you say the issue was because I am not experienced to them? (Because I do not included my work experience)

I actually never included my working experience on the spass form because I think its have not reached 6 months period and would not put into much consideration (also i have not quit the job so I have no recommendation letter from boss).

Would you say if I included my work experience in my next application the outcome will have a better chance?

And do you think age play a role in the rejection? I am only 20 when it was rejected and I just turned 21 recently.

I am a male btw.

Thank you beppi! You are amazing!

Loka513: since MoM does not disclose the reasons why you are not eligible, I could only speculate here: It could be your lack of experience (below 3 years EP is rarely given) or something else that marks you as banned in MoM's database - did you ever overstay, work illegally, commit a crime, attend a political event of the opposition or break a bond?
In any case, there is nothing you can do but wait until the ban is lifted. This is most likely years, so get some good work experience (preferably 3 years) elsewhere before you try again.

Hi beppi,

I actually have never commited any crime, illegally stay or work, break a bond, or attend political event. I do not think I am banned from MoM with any of those activities.

However the first employer submitted my degree certificate in black and white because they did not know the requirement of colored copy. I do not think this is why because the recent one has submitted the colored version.

So if the case I am not banned (which I am sure not) do you think I still stand a chance to get a SPASS (with 6 month working experience) or would you recommend to call MoM to address what the issue was (with small chance they allowing me to know why)?

Also about the age, does it involved in consideration?

Thank you Beppi :)

Age and experience does of course play a role: Singapore needs skilled people who contribute to the economy by training locals and creating new jobs. Newbies are not needed, as Ingapore is currently struggling to employ all of its own.
That's why I told you to get some good work experience elsewhere first.
Of course it does no harm to call MoM and ask what caused the rejections, even if they don't tell you (which is likely).
The color of your certificated (and other mere formalities) definitely plays no part here!

Well, I've always given the same black and white scanned copy for EP application. Never been the reason of rejection.

Bonjour!
There is no job for foreigner which doesn't requires an EP. Be patient and see what your hr can do.  I have a korean friend who faces this before and becos she refused to give up she keep going for interview and her company also tries all way to appeal for her.its not easy during this period of uncertainty but there is nothing much u can do except just wait.

Hi beppi,
I am working in singapore for nearly 3 years in employment pass with total work experience of 9 years. I had to resign my current job due to adverse situation. Meanwhile I got an offer from an MNC which has a corporate office in singapore with just single employee who is a singaporean. Since they dont have HR dept in singapore recruitment agency applied for my ep on 6th july. But the status is pending still. Salary offered is 8000.Iam now staying here in short term pass issued by employer which will expire in aug 1st week. Is it getting delayed because company has only single employee here.somebody told it might take months for approval. I am also confused as i got other offer from another company. Can the other company also apply for my ep simultaneously.Mom just asked my notice of assessment after 7 days when agency contacted. I have produced that. Please help me with the situation. Any idea will it get approved or rejected.

There are many factors affecting EP approval. Since you did not mention much about your situation, I cannot comment on these.
But a small company like yours (only 2 employees after you join) will of course be scrutinised more than an estabkished, bigger one. MoM will check whether a local could be hired instead of you and whether the copany's plans are desirable for Singapore (e.g. they plan to grow and create more local jobs soon).
It is also impossible to estimate how long it might take - anywhere between a few days and two months, depending on which investigations and checks MoM decides to undertake.
Also, another employer can apply for your EP only after this one cancels the application - only one allowed at a time.

Hi beppi,
I am a young finance professional holding masters degree. SAT tells like i am eligible. With the previous employer my pass got approved in 5 days. After 2 weeks in pending status will mom consider rejection or a delayed approval. My employer is a manufacturing company with corporate office in singapore having a single singaporean employee.They had already interviewed local talents here a couple of months ago and couldn't find any. This is the second time they are conducting interview in singapore and selected me. This time also local candidates were there. Also the job was posted in jobs bank for 14 days as per rule.

Hi all,
I'm an advertising professional with about 8 years work experience. I recently joined a local company but I think I made a mistake doing so and I am thinking of quitting after only 3 months. I have a job offer at another company but I'm scared that my next EP might not get approved by MOM as I may be labeled as a "job hopper". It's my first time working in Singapore so I don't know much about passes, and I hope you guys can help me understand my situation better. I stayed in my previous jobs for 3-5 years, and this is the first time I will be leaving within several months period.

Sakri777: long processing time does not mean higher or lower chance for appeoval. It is good that your company has done all they could to find a local candidate before they decided to hire you. Just wait for the results - there is nothing else you can do!

Teleportitis: Changing job after a short time is a megative factor in the eyes of MoM, but not a k.o. Criterium if it's the first time.
However, there are other reasons for a new EP not getting approved. Do not resign from your current job before the new EP is approved if you want to avoid the risk of having nothing and needing to leave Singapore.

Hi there Beppi, I hope you can advise me on this matter.

So my EP got rejected, employer said MOM (being typical) isnt giving a clear reason or something that we can work on for the appeal.

Job - Headhunter, Asia Region
Company - from UK with regional office in Singapore, >10 years
Salary - Base 3500 with additional uncapped commission
Interview - Five stages with work sample and director level interview.
My degree - Fresh grad, BSc with Honours from Nottingham UK.
Work Experience - different jobs, total of 2 years (university level), not related to job position.

Even this is the first time the hiring manager is facing this problem.  We got news of the rejection last Thursday, so right now we're trying to see how to work on the appeal.

S$3500/month for a degree holder with 19 years experience is far too low. Furthermore, you need to have 3 years experience applicable to the job in Singapore. If you want to appeal (although I think your chances are low without a substantial pay rise and change in job scope), your employer should ficus on why these are not needed in your case - and why they cannot hire a local for the job.