Teaching Portuguese to expats in Goiania

Oi, Does anyone know of any private language schools in Goiania that my Brasilian wife could teach Portuguese to expats?

Hello Robert.

There is precious little in Goiânia in the way of Portuguese classes for expats.

The UFG (Universidade Federal de Goiás) offers Portuguese classes only to foreign students enrolled at the university. The Catholic University claims to offer Portuguese classes for foreigners, but they need 12 interested persons to open a class. Last February, I was #5 on the list. I called again in July, and was told no class would be offered in 2011. It appears to me there is insufficient demand in Goiânia for Portuguese lessons for expats.

If anyone else has better information to the contrary of my own experience, I would be eager to hear it.

Best of luck!

Hi, I am a Portuguese expat living now in goiânia, I used to teach Portuguese as a foreign language. It would be nice to do it again, drop me a line if anyone is interested. Cheers

iŽd be interested in a satarday afternoon group class, even if itŽs just organised between the expats without an official teacher we could work through a portuguese textbook as a group.

how many expatŽs do you know?

i am interesting to join any portuguese class,so if anyone have info for me he can contact me on  my [email protected]

Hello all,

I'm not too sure about what they're doing in Goiás, but I know that private language schools like SKILL and CNA in São Paulo and Rio offer Portuguese courses for expats. It's worth checking with them to find out. These schools don't pay much, but it's a start and will provide some much needed income while you take the time to recruit private students through your personal website, pamphlets, newspaper ads, whatever. Once you build up a decent student base you can slowly reduce your dependence on the school and devote more time to private students who pay more. One thing I would like to point out, be ethical... finding your own students is not too difficult. Don't be tempted to take students away from any school where you may be teaching. It's bad for the profession as a whole and can get you blacklisted. You never know when you might want to go back to teaching in a school. Also be cautious, many students will actually approach you with the idea at a school, trying to cut their costs. Even if that happens don't accept them as students. The result will be the same. Schools won't blame the students, they'll always blame the teacher.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

any information about Portuguese lessons or colleges that assist with visa in order to stay a bit longer in Brazil ?