Formalities to bring your pet in Zambia

Hi all,

What are the formalities and paperwork required to bring your pet in Zambia?

How long do formalities & paperwork usually take in Zambia?

What are the relevant authorities to contact?

Which vaccines are compulsory? Do your pets have to go in quarantine at their arrival in Zambia?

Which advice would you give to the ones who would like to move with a dog, a cat or any other pet?

Thanks in advance for participating :)

Hello Julien,

If you contact Dr. Liza Oparaocha, a vet here in Lusaka who helps lots of expats import/export their pets, she can help you.  Following are some notes I wrote to myself about the procedures for importing a pet.  I can tell you that Dr. Liza is fantastic.  She met us at baggage claim with our dog in her arms.  We adore her.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Importing Pets to Zambia from USA
Vet in Lusaka:  Dr. Liza Oparacha, [email protected]
Vet clinic inside  the showgrounds (not the Canine Vet clinic - Liza's clinic is in the back)
Telephones 0977770940

PROCEDURES

1.    Provide copy of the vaccination certificate (vaccinations must have been completed not less than one month prior to departure)
2.    Provide a letter from the vet certifying your pet is healthy, fully vaccinated, and fit for travel
3.    PDF these letters and send in an email to Dr. Oparacha one month ahead of time.
4.    Dr. Oparacha will arrange for an import permit (cost is K550,000).  You need only one permit per shipment of animals (e.g., if 2 dogs and 1 cat are all on the same flight, you need one permit; if they come at separate times, you'll need separate permits).
5.    Dr. Oparacha will pre-clear the animals with Mac2000 agents
6.    No more than 10 days prior to trip, get a healthy pet certificate from your vet and email to Dr. Oparacha.
7.      (For US) - No more than 30 days prior to trip get USDA export permit (you have to visit your vet first, they fill out a form, then you go to the USDA and they sign it; there's a fee but I can't remember what it is).  It's best to do this 10 days before you leave too, otherwise you'll have to get two healthy pet certificates as USDA requires one completed not more than ten days previous too.

RECOMMENDATIONS
1.    Avoid flying pets through South Africa due to stringent quarantine and vaccination guidelines (if at all possible).
2.    Recommend British Airways (direct flight from London to Lusaka) or Ethiopian Airlines (direct Wash DC to Addis, then Addis to Lusaka via Harare). 
a.    British Airways – US codeshare partner is American Airlines; does not allow carry on pets to London; AA has a weight limit (100 lbs including crate) and a size limit.
b.    Ethiopian Airlines – In Addis, go to gate agent and say you want to get your dogs from cargo and walk them.  Spend as much time as possible walking them.  The EA contact in Lusaka is Fred, 0977 176 577; office is 0977 409 364.  Ask for best contact in Addis. Direct Dulles to Addis flight, leaves 12 noon, arrives 8:25 am.  Allows small carry on pets.
3.    No heartworm in Zambia, will need flea/tick preventative (like Advantage Plus, Frontline, etc.); make sure it prevents ticks.

p.s.  If you start reading my blog in December (skip the family stuff, look for the Zambia category) you can see our journey of getting what we thought would be two, but turned out to be just one, dog to Zambia.  Start at the bottom up to get a sequential view.  http://kimmxjayne.wordpress.com

Hi KXJ!

Thanks for your help ;)

Armand

Hi,
If you contact Dr Alison McKendrick, [email protected], she will answer all your questions and has a very friendly practice. She has two practices in lusaka, so they are easy to access, one practice in Lilayi, makeni and the other one in town, on The corner of Bishops and Roan road, on the same property as the rose garden. Dr Alison also does emergency house calls, so it is very easy to get access to medical attention for your pets. She is not just a small animal vet, she is an equine vet as well.
Ask a vet at petvet for what you need because a vet should reply to you, not a regular person, you just need to tell petvet in advance, so they can organise everything on the Zambian side.

Dr Alison McKendrick
[email protected]
260968883284 260968883284
On the corner of Bishops and Roan road
thebestofzambia.com/orgs/petvet/

Emma001 wrote:

Hi,
If you contact Dr Alison McKendrick, [email protected], she will answer all your questions and has a very friendly practice. She has two practices in lusaka, so they are easy to access, one practice in Lilayi, makeni and the other one in town, on The corner of Bishops and Roan road, on the same property as the rose garden. Dr Alison also does emergency house calls, so it is very easy to get access to medical attention for your pets. She is not just a small animal vet, she is an equine vet as well.
Ask a vet at petvet for what you need because a vet should reply to you, not a regular person, you just need to tell petvet in advance, so they can organise everything on the Zambian side.

Dr Alison McKendrick
[email protected]
260968883284 260968883284
On the corner of Bishops and Roan road
thebestofzambia.com/orgs/petvet/

For info, this thread has been inactive since 2011  :whistle:

Please recommend this Dr in our Business directory

Thank you
Kenjee

How can I bring my pet to Zambia.

Good Day

Are you saying to bring your dog into the country it is costing K550 000-00 for an import permit

KXJ wrote:

Hello Julien,

If you contact Dr. Liza Oparaocha, a vet here in Lusaka who helps lots of expats import/export their pets, she can help you.  Following are some notes I wrote to myself about the procedures for importing a pet.  I can tell you that Dr. Liza is fantastic.  She met us at baggage claim with our dog in her arms.  We adore her.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Importing Pets to Zambia from USA
Vet in Lusaka:  Dr. Liza Oparacha, [email protected]
Vet clinic inside  the showgrounds (not the Canine Vet clinic - Liza's clinic is in the back)
Telephones 0977770940

PROCEDURES

1.    Provide copy of the vaccination certificate (vaccinations must have been completed not less than one month prior to departure)
2.    Provide a letter from the vet certifying your pet is healthy, fully vaccinated, and fit for travel
3.    PDF these letters and send in an email to Dr. Oparacha one month ahead of time.
4.    Dr. Oparacha will arrange for an import permit (cost is K550,000).  You need only one permit per shipment of animals (e.g., if 2 dogs and 1 cat are all on the same flight, you need one permit; if they come at separate times, youll need separate permits).
5.    Dr. Oparacha will pre-clear the animals with Mac2000 agents
6.    No more than 10 days prior to trip, get a healthy pet certificate from your vet and email to Dr. Oparacha.
7.      (For US) - No more than 30 days prior to trip get USDA export permit (you have to visit your vet first, they fill out a form, then you go to the USDA and they sign it; there's a fee but I can't remember what it is).  It's best to do this 10 days before you leave too, otherwise you'll have to get two healthy pet certificates as USDA requires one completed not more than ten days previous too.

RECOMMENDATIONS
1.    Avoid flying pets through South Africa due to stringent quarantine and vaccination guidelines (if at all possible).
2.    Recommend British Airways (direct flight from London to Lusaka) or Ethiopian Airlines (direct Wash DC to Addis, then Addis to Lusaka via Harare). 
a.    British Airways  US codeshare partner is American Airlines; does not allow carry on pets to London; AA has a weight limit (100 lbs including crate) and a size limit.
b.    Ethiopian Airlines  In Addis, go to gate agent and say you want to get your dogs from cargo and walk them.  Spend as much time as possible walking them.  The EA contact in Lusaka is Fred, 0977 176 577; office is 0977 409 364.  Ask for best contact in Addis. Direct Dulles to Addis flight, leaves 12 noon, arrives 8:25 am.  Allows small carry on pets.
3.    No heartworm in Zambia, will need flea/tick preventative (like Advantage Plus, Frontline, etc.); make sure it prevents ticks.

Are you say to bring my dog into the country it will cost me K550,000-00

Hi Julian

Is the cost for an import permit to bring your dog into the country -  K550,000 ?

Hello AlmariB,

Please note that this thread has been inactive, and hence its participants may not respond to your questions.

As a solution, I would suggest that you create a new thread on the Zambia forum to receive up-to-date information regarding your query.

Best of luck,

Diksha
Team Expat.com

Hi Diksha

Thank you very much