Formalities to bring your pet in Germany

Hi all,

What are the formalities and paperwork required to bring your pet in Germany?

How long do formalities & paperwork usually take in Germany?

What are the relevant authorities to contact?

Which vaccines are compulsory? Do your pets have to go in quarantine at their arrival in Germany?

Which advice would you give to the ones who would like to move with a dog, a cat or any other pet?

Thanks in advance for participating :)

Well, Julien , I only know about dogs because my girlfriend and I " imported " a street dog from Greece a few years ago .

He needed: an identity microchip, an EU Animal Passport , and a rabies jab.

Certain types of dogs may not be imported at all, eg pitbulls.

Depending on the area in Germany, the dog must be registered because a dog tax is levied. To get this registration from one of the local govt offices, you have to show proof of a dog liability insurance!!

Good luck!

Thanks for your response john g. !

My two cats came from Australia.
They needed Rabies shots, current vaccinations and I had to fill out forms to say I hadn't been in contact with the Hendra virus, and that they were not for commercial sale. They also had to have relevant microchip details.
If you are importing for sale, then you will be charged at customs.
It costs on arrival if you bring them by plane, for boarding, pick up and transfer costs.
Hope this helps. I really think it depends on where you're bringing the animal from, and what kind of animal they are.

missbeesy is correct! What you must do to bring your pet to Germany depends on the kind of pet and the country from which you are moving.  There is an article on (moderated: stop advertising for the same website in your posts please) that provides a good overview of the requirements - both getting your pet here as well as rules and expectations once you are living here.

The  link that was deleted from my previous post pointed to a page that does an exceptionally good job of summarizing what needs to be done to bring pets into Germany.  I followed their guidance and transported my dog from the US to Germany with no difficulty.  So that others may benefit from what I learned, here are the main points to keep in mind:

* Pets are welcome in Germany, but there are some very specific hoops you must jump through to avoid any possibility of quarantine.
* Get a folder or binder to save all your pet's paperwork…you will need to keep these papers handy throughout your trip and your move.
* If you are transporting a dog, make sure it is not one of the breeds that cannot be brought into Germany (e.g., bull terriers, pit-bull terriers, Staffordshire bull terriers, American Staffordshire bull terriers).
* Be sure you understand the time window during which any treatments or paperwork must be completed based on your country of origin and travel date.
* Get your pet “chipped” or tattooed, along with a rabies booster shot.
* Depending on your country of origin, additional vaccinations or blood tests may be needed, and/or inoculations against parasites such as ticks and tapeworms.
* You may need to get an EU health certificate completed by a veterinarian, and/or an EU pet passport.
* If flying, be aware that transport rules can vary from one airline to another.  Airlines often post online checklists and guidelines to help you as you are preparing your pet to travel. Use them to avoid discovering at the last minute some issue you could have avoided easily. 
* If they will travel in a kennel or carrier, acclimate your pet to it if it is new to them, or if you use it infrequently.  Build up their confinement time to the length of the flight over a week or two. In this way your pet learns that they will not be staying in the kennel forever, and they will see you again soon every time – which will lessen their anxiety on the day of the flight.
* Look in advance at the local leash and pet registration laws for where you will be living in Germany.  You may need to get permission from a landlord or other authorities to have your pet living with you.

It sounds like a lot to process, but really it takes just a few hours.  And can you honestly imagine moving to a new country without your best friend at your side?