Moving to California, San Diego

Hello everyone,

I am planning to give to my life a new turn, and I think it's never to late to do it. I would like to live in the states as I already had an opportunity to live there a year and I really enjoyed it. I would like also to give to my children  the taste of taking risk and to learn other mentality and a lot of other things .....

The place which seems to me the best is san diego, California, but the question is how to find a job there and to have all the needed information as the cost of a renting, costs of a school, etc...

Does anyone can help ?

I can speak French, English.

Thanks to everyone for help.

Sabah
(I a woman)

hello,

i've got the same goal but i'm from France. I don't think it's too hard to find a job over there but the main difficulty should be to have a distant interview. Maybe you can travel easily but not me. I plan to go to SD next November or February just to have a look;

i'll ask to my penfriend there how you can do to make your search easier;

see you

si tu as des infos merci de me faire savoir également, deux cerveaux valent mieux qu'un!

Moving to California, San Diego will really give your life a new turn...

All the best...

Hi everybody
   I think JohnBenjamin's oppion is right.moving to california will give your life a new turn.I want to change my life,I have garment factory in china,I want find a buyer for my factory.hoping I can know more friends from USA.
    my e-mail:[email protected]

Bill jackson

I lived in San Diego for 8 years and absolutely loved it!  Would love to move back one day.
The best way to set up a job it to plan to visit for a week or two and set up some interviews while there.  The best place to look for a job is the San Diego Union Tribune newspaper.  Warning, the rent and housing is EXPENSIVE.  The average one bedroom apartment ranges from $1000-2000 per month depending on the area you live.  I would recommend staying clear of areas like National City, Chula Vista, Barrio Heights, Escondido, Logan Heights or any other city with Heights in the title.  The crime is more prevenlant in these areas.  My ex is a police seargant in San Diego, so I have the inside track. 
I recommend North County cities like Carlsbad, Del Mar 9if you can afford it) or even inland cities like Rancho Penasquitos and Rancho Bernardo.  Another clue is that you cannot go wrong with communities with Rancho in the title!
Good luck and God speed.

I have lived in San Diego my whole life. I don't have any experience living anywhere else, but I love San Diego.  We do have great weather (but we do have some chilly winter days.  Don't let anyone tell you different! No snow, but winter days can see tempertures in the low 50s F)Right now, jobs aren't that easy to come by.  Of course, it depends on what your occupation is.  Check www.craigslist.com for daily job listings. San Diego is a huge city and it is very expensive to live here.  We have one of the highest housing markets in the country.  To live near the coast you need to have some big bucks. I, personally, don't recommend North County because of the traffic on the I5 or the 15.  It can be brutal, although many parts of North County are beautiful. I grew up in the Pacific Beach (and am still there). Pacific Beach has great night life as well as the beach right there, plus it is very central.  Our family chooses to live near the beach because we all surf and paddle board.  Plus, myself and my husband both grew up there.  Inexpensive areas that are still decent would be parts of Clairemont (very centrally located), Escondido (north county and has some very nice areas. I lived there for 3 years and it was really nice but traffic was a nightmare), El Cajon (east county. Some nice areas with really good housing deals), East Lake (not very central though), and La Mesa.  It all depends on what type of life style you want. (family? night life? beach?)To see typical San Diego houses and rentals, go to realtor.com.
Good luck with your move!

San Diego is a very nice place to live but it is very expensive to be anywhere near La Jolla or Downtown. The smaller beach communities in North County are pretty sweet. Check out Solana Beach, Del Mar, Leucadia, Carlsbad, Oceanside and Encinitas.
I have been living abroad for over 15 years and don't know what all the hype about craig's list is but I would be wary because there have been reports of violent crimes related to ads placed on it.
Safe travels and good luck.

Cheers,
Sandra

hi there everyone. If you want to live in California I can give you guidance because I was raised throughout in the state. I lived in San Francisco/Oakland for 7 years and finished college there. I lived in San Diego for over 20 years and have parents and a brother still there. So any questions on San Diego, or SF/Oakland, or even Los Angeles, just ask. I'm pretty resourceful..even with Mexico since I've been there SOOO many times.  Robert Oram

Some briefs on San Diego: For jobs, it's best to search the local papers like San Diego Union Tribune, Craigslist, Monster, Careerbuilder, and check out individual companies you're interested in that have a site in San Diego. Also, go online to Online career fairs and apply there. Ideally, when you come for a visit it should be 2parts: 1- Get a feel for the atmosphere/cultures, 2- Do interviews. It's not for everyone. You have good/bad points to here like everywhere. For a simple 1 bedroom apartment to rent in a good area, expect to pay around: $1200-1600 US per month. It's not cheap here and honestly, it's very pathetic to be paying for what you get. Schools: For children, I would recommend private schools. Some public schools are good but it depends if you live in their district only: La Jolla, Coronado, Del Mar, Rancho Santa fe. For colleges, any community college will do. For a university: If medicine or science related, definitely go to UC San Diego. It's excellent for these areas. For business majors, go to Los Angeles at UCLA or USC or up North at UC Berkley or Stanford. Focus ONLY on tier 1 universities if you want to secure a top entry paying job! That's the biggest mistake I did academically..I should have transferred to a top tier university rather than get my degree from a level 3-4 school like San Francisco State University. There really exists education "discrimination" in America. All the top paying/great job companies recruit on campuses of tier 1 schools. The other schools: NOT SO. San Diego does NOT have a tier 1 school! Only the one's I mentioned in CA are tier 1.