Rent a flat or a house in Myanmar

Finding a place to live is a priority when settling in Myanmar. Your experience will be of a great help for the members who want to settle in Myanmar.

Therefore, we have prepared some questions for you:

Which kinds of accommodation are available in Myanmar?

Is it hard to find a flat or a house for rent in Myanmar?

How to find a home in Myanmar: classifieds, real estate portals, real estate agencies?

How much is the rental for a house, an apartment?

What are the formalities or the required documents for renting an accommodation?

Which advice would you give?

Thanks in advance for participating!

Hi,

I'm actually looking for flat to rent or to share, does anybody have any advice. I already arrived in Yangon.

Best,

Vincent

Hi Christine,

You can rent a flat, a house or serviced apartments in Yangon. Rents vary depend on the location, condition and with or without furniture. The popular serviced apartments are around US 1500 up to US$ 3000.00. If you are lucky, you can still get a smaller apartment with US$ 400-500 in the local neighborhood.
The rents for houses are also vary by location.
I believe it is a bit hard to get the right one in a short time.
You need to contact the local agents. They charge one month commission from you and you also have to pay at least 6 to 12 months rent in advance.
If you can live in suburb, you can get a whole house with US $ 500.00
I hope this helps.

ZTrules

Hi ZTrules!

Thanks for your help!

Armand

Hi there!

Can someone recommend a housing agent then to find a flat or house to rent in Yangon?

Much appreciated!
Thanks

Eileen

Hi Eileen and welcome to Expat.com!

This page may be helpful to you > https://www.expat.com/en/business/asia/ … -agencies/.;)

You may also post an advert in the Myanmar classifieds > accommodation section.

Hope this helps,
Harmonie.

Hi Harmonie!

Thank you for the information!

Are you in Yangon?

Eileen

Hi there,

I am about to move to Yangon in coming month and start to looking for city apartment, is there any local web site where they listed the available accommodation that i can have a look?

How's difficult to use English to communicate with local people (i mean in general food stall/bus/taxi)?

Thanks in advance for your advise.

Hi,

The letting agent website are not widely used in Myanmar. It is normally by a word of mouth.

It is not vey difficult to communicate with local people as long as you use very simple words and short sentence.

Regards,

Phyo

amoki wrote:

Hi there,

I am about to move to Yangon in coming month and start to looking for city apartment, is there any local web site where they listed the available accommodation that i can have a look?

How's difficult to use English to communicate with local people (i mean in general food stall/bus/taxi)?

Thanks in advance for your advise.

Hi there,

Hi Chitou,
I was in San Fran for 14 years and real estate broker. Now back in Myanmar 15months ago and started my own real estate firm to cater expats. Please check my profiles. Let me know if we can assist you in anyway.

Oh its nice to meet u in here. I may probably need ur help. :) Right now, my parents are looking for someone to rent a house which is in yangon cos we all are living in the US.  Could you plz email ur no: or sth I can contact. Here is my email : [email protected]

Hello from France,

Can you find a flat or appartment to rent per week in Mandalay
If yes we would come on December 24th
Best regards

Mira:)

Thank you very much for interesting in our country.But prices for buying or renting a flat is as the same as those in US.

Our country is an LDC.It is impossible to use English to communicate with Local people.Most can't.A lot who have passed maticulation exam don't know how to read myanmarsar(official language)

matriculation examination decides whether one is qualified to be a university student or not.

(Moderated: Please post in the housing in Myanmar section)

hi.I don't know how to give you a good advice.But I want to explain you a little about mandalay.Chineses own mandalay downtown.So,buying or renting a house in mandalay needs to communicate with chineses.But don't worry.They have myanmar registration card(I think it should be called as ID).But those chineses are doing bussinesses.So,it is difficult to get a flat there.Thank you very much for interesting in mandalay

The name of our country is not myanmar.It's burma.

Hmm! How could someone stated 'Buy or rent the house/ condo is the same as US.' 
1. In Myanmar, you need to pay yearly advance payment for rental.
2. In US, you pay one month security deposit and pay monthly rent.

3. Majority Myanmar property owners don't have mortgages and transaction take place in cash usually pay up within 6 months to 2 years. That's including high end property cost $20 mil, 30 mil or more.
4. In US, you get mortage from Banks and pay up for your home within 15 to 30 years is norm.

So please tell me where is the similarity between Myanmar and US when it's come to real estate.
It is important to provide accurate info to someone who need help. If you don't know the subject, it's better to say nothing.

If you don't know the subject,it's better to say nothing.
But if would be better if you saw the word "prices"

Exactly Lin Aye Naing... Prices. You can compare the rent or sale prices, Yangon in particular is far more expensive than US in general. Get the facts right. I don't know where u live or what u do for living. I'm real estate business and that's what I do professionally. At least I know what I'm talking about.
I don't post random unintelligent  posts. Ppl who read your post pick up on you. It's quite sad that u r racist and fial to recognize your motherland as Myanmar. Pls don't think I'm Chinese. I'm not!
Please don't take it personally. Have a wonderful day Lin Aye Niaing.

Thanks for your reply!But the name of our country is not Myanmar.It's Burma.Some people think that the government uses the word "Myanmar" and the others "Burma".But it is not true. Myanmar is the name of a nationality and Burma is the name of the whole country.The word "Burma" didn't exist until the 20th century.
Here's how.Dring the period in which the people of our country were trying to get the independence,an association called "Dou Bamar" appeared!!(dou=we,Bamar=burmans)Thakin Ba Thaung,one of the three founders of that association gave the name of the association as Dou Bamar.Thakhin Ba Thaung thought that the name of the assocation shouldn't be "Dou Myanmar" because Myanmar stands only for one nationality.So,he created a new word.He said that he chose the alphabet ဗfor Bamar instead of the alphabet ဘ because the sound of the alphabet ဘis not constant.Sometimes,it becomes soft.The word "Burma" appeared from that day onwards.
CREDIT TO
1)The history of Dou Bamar Association {Part 1,Part2}
2)The record of the endeavours of the Thakhins for independence by Tet ka thou Sein Tin.
When the Senior General Saw Maung was ruling the country,he changed the name of our country as Myanmar.Even the words in the songs were changed.
[[It's quite sad that you are a racist and fial to recongnize your motherland as Myanmar]]
Why do you think I am a racist?
And why do you think I am fial to recognize my motherland as Myanmar?
Myanmar is the name of a nationality.If I state Myanmar as the name of our country,I will become a racist.I don't want to be a racist!
In your first reply,
[[1)In Myanmar,you need to pay yearly advance payment for rental]]
Yes,that's right!But it's only for some cases.
In some places,one has to pay daily!
for example,
0.5$ a day
(I'm not talking about hotels.Some people have to work for the whole day.The employers pay 2 dollars a day.What they need is just a place to sleep.They can't afford to rent a house per month.There are usually 10 to 15 girls in a hall.Each has to pay 0.5$ a night.]]
In some places,the rentals have to pay per month,or per every 6 months or per every 3 months.

[[So,tell me what is the similarity between Myanmar & US when it's come to real estate]]

Ok,let me ask you first.
Did I write "Buy or rent the house/condo is the same as US"??
No.I didn't.
So,why do you want me to tell the similarity between Myanmar & US in real estate???
Why?

[[2)In US,you pay one month security deposit and pay monthly rent]]

Do you want to state 1 and 2 as the different between Myanmar & US in real estate??
No!You can't.

Some people here have to put deposits on apartments.

[[At least I know what I am talking about.]]
You really know?
The country I live in is not a country with democracy.The laws concerning with property are based on communism.You can't own anything so do I. Renting a house/land from a person is not allowed.No buying is allowed.Only renting from the government is allowed.
You can't buy even a sim card in burma.Buying a sim card is just in words.Actually,it's not buying!It's renting sim cards from the government.
Renting something from a person or to a person can be sent you into the prism,according to the laws in burma,the country burmans live in.
If you really know what you are talking about,you will also know that No foreigners can rent a house in burma.

Go ask a lawyer if you don't believe me.

You wrote
[[Ppl who read your post pick up on you]]

Don't worry.Whatever I post,I post on my own responsibility

My name is not Lin Aye Niaing

Have you fount the flat that you are looking for. (Moderated : Please post your ad in the Flats for rent in Myanmar section pls)

ID TEN T. Go figure.

Hi,
I'm living in Cambodia and will move to Mandalay in next few months with the whole family [kid, dogs and cats]. I'm looking for information regarding house rental price, living cost, school/kindergarden if any and other important information.
Thanks.