jb09

jb09 

I am not an expat yet

 
 
 
 

Latest Activity

jb09 posted on the thread Looking for work on the Melbourne forum

Sounds like you are somewhat consistently getting calls for interviews. At least you will get practice in doing interviews! If you've only returned back in May, it might just be a little longer to get that job offer. Best of luck!

jb09 posted on the thread Looking for work on the Melbourne forum

I was just curious, did companies come to your university to recruit before you graduated? I was going to recommend that you should also use your alma mater if they have career placement for alumni too. Here in the US, companies usually start recruiting for students that are graduating within the semester or the next semester before the student graduates. The student will start after graduation.

jb09 posted on the thread Looking for work on the Melbourne forum

ck89 wrote:

Hi, I'm Kenneth from Malaysia. Graduated from University of South Australia and recently moved to Melbourne (therefore, my network consists of a number of my relatives). I'm currently looking for graduate/entry level/junior job in the finance industry. I had uploaded my resume in career portals such as seek, mycareer, careerone and etc and also joined linkedin but no avail. I've been posting out numerous resumes to companies for the past 2 months but only managed to land 2 interviews each month. Should I continue to do the same till I land a job because I read somewhere that someone takes nearly half a year to get a job whereas some takes a much shorter time. Hope that someone here provide me advice on this... P/S: I am authorized to work in Australia Thanks

At least you are getting interviews every month compared to people not getting any calls. It seems that there might not be a lot of jobs to the number of applicants. So it might be a very competitive market at the moment. I think you will just need to continue what you are doing. However, have you ever considered maybe doing some other type of networking? Do a google search to find the meet up.com for Australia. Then search under the Melbourne area. There is a group called "Network of Accounting & Finance Professionals in Melbourne". Sometimes people get jobs through networking rather than applying for jobs online.

jb09 posted on the thread Looking for a job on the Melbourne forum

jb09 wrote:

ronaldb1984 wrote:

I'm Ronald,Filipino Electrical Engineer with 5 years experience in Electrical and Fire Contracting Works in United Arab Emirates. I'm currently on a GSM 175. Any job vacancies you can recommend? I can work as a Site Engineer, Draftsman or Estimator for Electrical and Fire Services. Thanks

Best recommendation is for you to apply directly for current job postings from online job websites such as mycareer.com.au , seek.com.au , or www.epatengineer.net Another is to join www.linkedin.com for free. It has job postings as well as to network. Even though you may have a visa 175, majority of Australian companies prefer if you already moved to Australia. The reason is because most companies want to interview applicants in person at a short notice. However, if you have the specific skills that a company is looking for, they will get in contact with you for an interview even if you are living overseas through Skype, phone,etc. You are required to validate your visa in Australia within the time frame documented in the letter you received notifying you that you were approved for your visa. Another recommendation is to coordinate to meet with HR reps from some of the recruitment companies that you will see in those online job websites when you arrive in Australia to validate your visa. At least the recruiters will be able to see a face to the applicant.

typo in one of the website links above.. it should be www.expatengineer.net

RachelLafa wrote:

Thanks JB09 for your very thoughtful response.You raised some good points for me to consider with my clients. An interesting point about having a policy tied to your employer is what are the take over terms when you change employer? You would want to know that you can take that policy with you especially if you have health issues that prevent you from acquiring another policy. That is where 'an outside the employer' policy would be a very valuable asset. We don't know what is going to happen in the future and it is too late when the illness/injury strikes. In Australia, some of the policies don't cover you if you are not an Australian resident. So if you go to live and work overseas for an extended period, you may think you are covered and are not. Also, many insurers expect to be told if you are living overseas and if you do not tell them that you are then the cover could not be valid. Yes, many of the larger companies provide cover all over the world but if you travel to a region that is on the Australian government smart traveller site as 'do not travel' destinations, then again you may not be covered. Regarding Health Insurance, you are right. It is of greater concern because it is the hear and now. Little medical expenses can become big without the right health cover. There are heaps of ins and outs with that.

Thanks for providing more information regarding travel to "do not travel" destinations. Is it because the policy holder is likely to get injured or killed? Even though living in a safe area doesn't guarantee that you will not be killed or die unexpectedly. Yes, in the US, it is widely known that if you move from one company to the next, the policy doesn't transfer. Getting a life insurance policy outside the employer sponsored life insurance policiy depends on the person's financial status. Some would rather use the additional life insurance payment to pay off other bills,etc. Yes, I am somewhat knowledgeable about that most people would not be able to get life insurance policies depending on their current health status. However, what we call here in the US .. whole life insurance seems to not have health care reporting once someone obtains the life insurance policy. People have been paying for years with premiums increasing after they reach a certain age limit. But the term life insurance will likely have the applicant submit new health status when it's time for a renewal. Thanks for providing information about some of the life insurance policies in Australia and the requirement about being an Australian resident. When you say resident, do you mean a permanent resident? Or just living in Australia? it's always good to be prepared and to not be shocked to find out later the person wasn't covered.

jb09 posted on the thread Looking for a job on the Melbourne forum

beyork3346 wrote:

I am a chinese young guy, speak fluent English and Japanese, Germany, have bachelor degree. I want to find a job in Australia. Any companys want to purchaing from China , or do bussiness with chinese, I would be the right guy to support. Any advise would be higly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Please review the online job websites I recommended to ronaldb1984 except the expatengineer website. Unfortunately, you will need a working visa in order to work in Australia. Although there are some employers who do provide sponsored visas, these are mostly to people that have skills and work experience that they are not able to find locally. Please visit Australia's immigration website at immi.gov.au to review all the visas that are available. It can be a long process as your skills will need to be assessed to determine if they are recognized in Australia if you plan to apply for a skilled visa.

jb09 posted on the thread Looking for a job on the Melbourne forum

ronaldb1984 wrote:

I'm Ronald,Filipino Electrical Engineer with 5 years experience in Electrical and Fire Contracting Works in United Arab Emirates. I'm currently on a GSM 175. Any job vacancies you can recommend? I can work as a Site Engineer, Draftsman or Estimator for Electrical and Fire Services. Thanks

Best recommendation is for you to apply directly for current job postings from online job websites such as mycareer.com.au , seek.com.au , or www.epatengineer.net Another is to join www.linkedin.com for free. It has job postings as well as to network. Even though you may have a visa 175, majority of Australian companies prefer if you already moved to Australia. The reason is because most companies want to interview applicants in person at a short notice. However, if you have the specific skills that a company is looking for, they will get in contact with you for an interview even if you are living overseas through Skype, phone,etc. You are required to validate your visa in Australia within the time frame documented in the letter you received notifying you that you were approved for your visa. Another recommendation is to coordinate to meet with HR reps from some of the recruitment companies that you will see in those online job websites when you arrive in Australia to validate your visa. At least the recruiters will be able to see a face to the applicant.

jb09 posted on the thread Migrate to Australia on the Australia forum

Hi nanablue7, Majority of Australian embassies around the world do not process immigration applications. The website you referred to below is the one has information for all the different types of visas. The application forms can all be done online. As per your question about visa subclass 175, you have to meet the specific qualifications to apply to any of the visas available. You are on the right track, you don't need to go to an embassy to be able to apply for a visa to Australia.

Hi Rachel, I think life insurance policies will likely vary country to country even with life insurance companies. I currently know of someone that resides most of the year in another country but still continues to pay their life insurance policy in the US. They are retired and use one of their children's addresses as the main location while living in the US and stay with them. This is because they receive social security and still require a bank account to pay other bills. Although, there could be a bank setup in the current country they live in too. If your client's life insurance policy specifically states what you typed below, then their policy will become invalid. But I don't think this is common for all countries. I live in the US and the main criteria for most life insurance companies are that the policy holder continue paying their insurance premium. I haven't heard of policy holder residing outside of the country being a concern. Usually the larger insurance companies that have been in business for a long time will follow this path. Otherwise, without people continuously paying their insurance premiums, the less money is available for insurance companies to pay out to their customers if someone dies,etc. At least you are thorough in letting your client be aware about the life insurance policy. I think that health care insurance is a major concern for most expats compared to life insurance. Majority of the people in the US have life insurance through their employer. This is usually renewable every year. However, there are people who do get that additional life insurance policy that is not tied to their employer. So I would assume if an expat is going overseas and gets a job, one of the employee benefits could be life insurance.

jb09 posted on the thread migration agent for state sponsorship? on the Sydney forum

Hi Slinoa, I didn't apply for state sponsorship. However, I did apply for the skilled independent visa on my own by following the information in immi.gov.au I think if you are fluent in understanding the English language and your situation isn't complicated and straight forward, you can apply on your own by following the instructions. Also, you have an advantage of currently being in Australia. You can always visit the DIAC in Sydney to ask any questions in person. There is an area in that office that you can wait in line and will be able to speak to someone in person. I did this back I'm 2009 while vacationing in Australia. I don't know the how much it costs for a migration agent. But I'm assuming it could be a couple of thousand dollars? Maybe higher or lower dependent on your situation. Better to save the money for other expenses especially if you are currently going up school. However, if you feel more comfortable getting an agent, then follow what you would like. Even though you will get an agent, I think you still have to do some work in providing documents that you will need to get.

I forgot to mention that once you become a NZ citizen, there is a special visa agreement between NZ and Australia that you would be able to live and work in Australia if you choose. The same goes for Australian citizens wanting to work and live in NZ. However, I believe if you were a NZ citizen and wanted to become an Australian citizen, you would have to apply and meet the requirements. The same goes for an Australian citizen wanting to be a NZ citizen.

Hi terrydreamer48, The following link is some information for you to review. It looks like www.via.ph is a website with information of how to apply for an Australian visa from the Philippines. Unfortunately, when you enter this website and choose Australia as the country from countries listed to view, a pop came up with the following announcement: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT! Changes to visitor and temporary work visas from 23 March 2013. From 23 March 2013 the Australian government intends to introduce significant changes to the Visitor and Medical Treatment visas. DIAC will no longer be accepting new applicants for the following visas: -Tourist visa (subclass 676) They list other visa types that were listed. There is a link from the following website under "To contact the Australian Embassy (Visa Office) in Manila" - Contact us that will allow your friend to inquire about the visa. It currently doesn't have the option for "tourist visa". But it does have "Visitor visa". Not sure what the difference is between these two visas. http://www.philippines.embassy.gov.au/mnla/Visas_and_Migration2.html A short excerpt from above: Visas and Migration Visa applications, except for Refugee and Humanitarian Entry, should be lodged at the nearest VIA office in the Philippines, operated by PIASI. A fee will be charged for this service in addition to the scheduled fee charged by the Australian Government for all visa applications. For more information about visa lodgement procedures, fees charged, contact details, office locations and office hours, visit http://www.via.ph/ For detailed information about visas and citizenship services please refer to the DIAC website, see Department of Immigration and Citizenship.

jb09 posted on the thread job in Australia on the Sydney forum

Hi Andriya, Please check out seek.com.au , mycareer.com.au , and linkedin.com (professional networking that you will need to join in order to view. it is free). From the internet that I'm not really familiar with is: http://www.expatengineer.net/jobs/locations/Australia/ALL? FYI for what I've read in other postings and in the internet. Majority of job postings require that you have an Australian working visa. However, you can still apply if you prefer and if you happen to have the skills and expertise they are looking for, they can provide a sponsored visa.

Hi Nitin, What stumpy had stated above is correct. You do not need an immigration agent to apply for a visa. The requirements that you need to apply for are stated in the website immi.gov.au as stated in the above posting. I applied on my own and was granted a PR. However, this was back in 2010 and the visa process has drastically changed. Skills that were once in shortage are no longer. Here is the link to the Professionals and other Skilled Migrants. One of the first things to do is to determine is to get your skills assessed. The directions should be provided in the website provided depending on your profession. I believe most state sponsored visas are for occupations that are in shortage. I don't think business management would be considered a shortage in most states. It would be what the state considers shortage in skills.. Example would be like carpenters, welders, electrician, etc. A skill that requires specific training that not everyone can just do. It is for occupations that the state is not able to obtain the local workforce to want to work in that specific area or there isn't enough qualified applicants. If you visit some Australian state websites, they would have somewhere in there a posting what the occupations that qualify for the state sponsored visas.

jb09 posted on the thread Wanting to move to Aussie on the Brisbane forum

Hi Stumpy, I think the one year work and travel visa doesn't have a rural area as a condition. The condition is that they can only work for an employer up to six months. If they continue to work the next 6 months, they will have to find a new employer. Working Holiday Visa (subclass 417)( for Canada and other specified countries) http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/ Hi wanting2movetoaussie, You might want to try seek.com.au and mycareer.com.au for your job search. Before you arrive in Australia, when applying for jobs, if the posting has a contact information, you might want to state when you plan to arrive and can meet them in person upon your arrival. That way you don't waste more time applying just upon your arrival. Since you have a degree in hotel & resort admin, research hotel websites. Most company websites nowadays have a careers link for job opportunities. Good luck.

Hi qutie143jft, You might want to consider expanding your job search outside of Melbourne and even outside the state of Victoria. One thing I've read in some posts in the internet is that some recruiters are looking for local experience. Have you joined Linkedin.com? It's free to join and you can have access to some job postings that might not be advertised in the other online job websites. Also, there are some groups have been created for specific occupations, alumni, and networking..

Hi Pvspims, Thank you for providing your personal opinion regarding moving to Australia. Many of the things you described about cost of living and how expensive it is .. is one reason I have not yet moved to Australia. I was approved for a PR. But looking at the online job websites and salaries shown made me think that the lifestyle that I'm used to here in the US, I would not have in Australia. It is a probably a good thing considering I just heard in the news about the downsizing of the industry I work in. It would mean layoffs for people in that industry and less job opportunities due to more competition. I've read about Americans moving to Australia with lower salary and not getting their money's worth in comparison to what they had. But it's because they like the atmosphere/weather/culture (depends where they came from) in Australia compared to the US. I would agree with your observation that people that are coming from developing countries, in which some countries, their citizens seem to get paid less in salary compared to US , Australia,etc.. will find Australia to provide better career opportunities at higher salaries. Just because some countries even in professional jobs have salaries that are not enough to be able to support their families.

jb09 posted on the thread Work experience on the Perth forum

Hello. Please check out immi.gov.au which will provide more information if your wife would be qualified to apply for an Australian visa.

Hello. I am neither South African or Australian. However, I do have relatives that are NZ citizens that have made the move to Australia. It was mostly for better career opportunities. Australia compared to New Zealand in comparison pays higher in salary. But has a higher cost of living than NZ. I'm assuming if you are asking if Australia or New Zealand, you don't have a visa yet? If this is the case, I think the first step is to determine which country will have job opportunities in your career field. You might have seen advertisement that both these countries have shortage in a specific skills,etc. However, it doesn't mean there is a job for everyone. I have seen some postings in the internet about people from other countries either moving to Australia or New Zealand and not being able to find a job. Or the salary isn't quiet enough to pay the bills and have to return back to the country they left. It probably is best if you have an opportunity to visit both countries to make a comparison of the areas in sort of like a vacation/holiday. But this isn't easy for everyone due to how expensive it can be with airfare, hotels,etc. I applied for an Australian permanent resident and was approved. However, I had not yet made the move. I am finding out that the industry where I have work experience is downsizing and job opportunities have dwindled. Cost of living is higher than what I am used to at about the same salary or lower than what I'm used to for same position. For that reason, I have not yet made the move. But I have visited both countries on vacation. For me, I felt that New Zealand in the area that I visited was mostly a countryside feel. Australia is a bigger country in size comparison even though a big area of Australia does not have people residing in them. Bigger country and with resources provides opportunities for international countries in wanting to invest their business. Therefore, create more jobs for locals. Since you didn't mention if you already have a job opportunity lined up, I'll give my experience with getting in touch with a couple of recruiting companies I scheduled with prior to landing in Australia. I think New Zealand probably follows the same process. Most companies require you to have a working visa in order to be considered for some positions. Being visa sponsored is mostly offered to people that fit the specific skill expertise that they need. However, even if you have a permanent resident visa or a working visa, it doesn't necessarily mean it will be easy to find a job. Some recruiters give the excuse that they require you to have local experience. But how would you get local experience if you just arrived in the country? I think what they say about the requirement about local experience isn't always true because I've read about people getting offered jobs without even stepping foot in Australia or New Zealand. Do some research which country will offer the best opportunities for your skills and expertise. Not for just now but in the long run. Cost of living in Australia and New Zealand are higher compared to other countries. Lastly, I think one of the decision factors of why people might move to Australia or New Zealand would have to be which one they were able to get the visa from. Or which one took less time to get. Good luck.

Hi Joannie, You might have a better chance of trying to find a job if you look on Australian's online job websites such as seek.com.au or mycareer.com.au In addition, there is also linkedin.com which is a professional networking website that also has job listings. The official website of Australia Immigration is immi.gov.au There is a new skilled migration program called Skill Select that you may want to check out if your occupation is on the short list.

jb09 posted on the thread Single Black American female in Sydney on the Sydney forum

Hi D.CStudent, Since you are not scheduled to graduate until 3 years from now. I wouldn't get worried too much about how much more expensive the housing is in Australia. It will likely not change in 3 years. I would say don't target getting minimum wage but to get a job as being a doctor which would be higher pay. I have no clue what the job market is for a chiropractor is in Australia. But it would probably be a good idea if you can get a 1-2 years of work experience in the US before you move and try to find a job in Australia. It will make you more marketable since most skilled migration visas require a specific time of work experience. Check some Australian job websites such as mycareer.com.au and seek.com.au to see what the job market is for chiropractors in Australia and the avg pay they get depending on work experience.