Expat blog Australia  Register now

Visitor visas in Australia

If you want to spend some time in Australia, here is some information on visas that should help you.

Apart from the traditional work and student visas, you can also visit Australia for short or long term. Different types of visas allow you to do so. But you must first determine your eligibility in the country and the type of visa that suits you best. The following link might help you: www.immi.gov.au

Tourist visa

If you want to visit Australia as a tourist on vacation or for other reasons, you can opt for a temporary visa. In fact, you can choose between electronic travel authorization, "E-visitor" visa available to people holding passports from several countries, or a visitor visa allowing you to stay on Australian territory for a period of three months.

A temporary visa allows you to stay in Australia for a period from three to twelve months. You can submit your application whether you are inside or outside Australia. Some tourists and professionals can apply online depending on their status.


Extend your stay

If your visa comes to an end and you want to stay longer in Australia, you can apply to extend your current visa. However, if you are in the country on a Working Holiday Visa (WHV), you cannot apply for an extension. In this case, you will have to contact the Australian visa office in your area to be able to apply for a new visitor visa.

If your request is rejected by the Australian authorities, you will have to leave the country before your visa expires.

Retirement visa

If you would like to retire in Australia, you can apply for a retirement visa. This visa is recommended for new applicants and those who want to invest in Australia after retirement. The retirement visa is valid for a period of ten years. There are no restrictions regarding the number of working hours authorized.

Once the visa has been obtained, you can leave and return to Australia whenever you want, or even work or get back to studies. Note, however, that this is a temporary visa that does not allow you to obtain permanent residence in the country or Australian citizenship.


Visa medical treatment

If you need medical treatment in Australia, if you are accompanying a patient or if you want to donate an organ, you can apply for a visa medical treatment. You can make your request within or outside the country. This visa allows you to stay in Australia for the duration of your treatment, to undertake studies for a period of three months and to travel across the country.


Last update on 15 July 2013 10:50:30


    Expatriate health insurance Australia
    Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Australia.
    >> Click here
    Travel insurance Australia
    Don't worry and travel happy across Australia.
    >> Click here
    Moving to Australia
    A few tips from professionals about moving to Australia.
    >> Click here