Studies in Australia
In order to study in Australia, you must hold a valid student visa. The student visa is granted to students attending an intensive course authorized by the CRICOS (Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students) of at least 3 months, or to students attending one of the eligible university curricula.
Before applying for your student visa at the Australian embassy, you need first to register with an Australian school or university.
Upon registration and payment of tuition fees, you will receive your e-COE (electronic Confirmation Of Enrolment) that will be sent to you by your host institution in Australia. You will then be able to go ahead with your visa application at the Australian embassy in your home country.
Any foreign student holding a student visa in Australia must respect terms and conditions of the visa.
In other words, it’s not allowed to take another class or training while in Australia, or change a thesis topic for instance.
Students must give a valid address to their education provider within 7 days after arrival in Australia. Any address change should be notified within 7 days as well.
As a foreign student, you’re not eligible to the public health system in Australia. You will have to get a private health insurance.
The student visa enables you to work up to 20 hours per week.
Fees of $450 apply for a student visa.
To find out more about student visa programmes, please check the Australian immigration website at immi.gov.au/students/students/chooser/.
Good to know:
Tuition fees may turn out to be very expensive in Australia. Contact the Australian embassy of your home country to find out more information about programs or scholarships available.
Student’s visa requirements
University of Sydney – International students
Guide section: Study
Latest guide articles
- Driving in Australia
- A respaced fish expert's visit of the Sydney Aquarium
- Partner Visa
- Island life – total bliss or a near miss?
- Tips for Getting Financially Set Up in Australia
- How to Survive Travel with your Partner
- Get Sydney, New South Wales driver licence
- Sydney transportation in nutshell
- Getting Settled: Tips for Expats in Sydney
- Cultural Childcare
- i want to get admission in Australia for MBA
- Surname on the passport
- Interested to Migrate to Melbourne
- Looking forward to move in Australia :)
- American Looking To Move To Australia!
- Louis Klopper
- CAs in AUSTRALIA
- Need a help and some valuable advice on …
- Being a POM
- Need VEVO System Visa Check Help