Drivers license in Denmark
There are 2 topics about getting a drivers license:
1. To obtain a drivers licence on danish conditions
2. To exchange previously licence to danish licence.
To obtain a danish drivers licence tru a driving school requires:
Minimum age og 18 ( can start lessons 3 month before)
first aid course ( minimum 7 lessons)
danish cpr number
education in driving school:
minimum 4 lessons on closed manouvre track
minimum 28 lessons in theory class
minimum 16 driving lessons ( with a stick)
minimum 4 lessons on "slippery track" / skid pan area
pass theory exam
pass driving test
Notice only very few driving school educate in other languages.
To Exchange previous licence has 2 topics:
1: exchange licence from other eu-country
Having a valid EU-License from other eu country,no need to change.
But be aware of the categories in DK.
For example. You must have cat. A licence to drive ANY kind of MC and 45km scooter too.
Cat,B is MAX. 3500 kg total weight and there are difficult trailer rules too.
But as written on top your license is valid, but sometimes you can get cheaper car insurance if you provide danish license and also car rental can get cheaper.
The cost for exchange at "borgerservice" is 260DKK and a new photo
2: exchange licence from non eu-countries
this is a hard one.
After recieveing CPR number, get all things below done within 90 days( driving with foreign licence after 90 days give a Fine on 5000 DKK)
1 . Make a proper passport photo for the license.
2. Health Certificate from your Danish doctor.
3. Contact a driving school for info about danish rules. only few driving schools (køreskoler) make education in english .
4 Go to local ” borgerservice ” at your municipality , to fill an application and bring with you:
- The Health Certificate from your Danish doctor together with the Passport photo.
- Your Passport .
- Valid residence permit unless you may legally reside in Denmark without permission.
- CPR number/ yellow card ( sygesikringsbevis).
- Your National driving license , if text not in english – french – german
or if is not issued in Latin letters, you must bring a certified translation into English, from an authorized translator.
- Pay a fee on DKK 260 ( dec 2010) for the service from Borgerservice.
You then recieve a temporary licence valid up to 2 months ( within the 2 months you have to pass the Theory test and the Driving Test)
If you you for some reason don`t get ready within 2 months and you attend a driving school , then the driving school often can help you to get the period extended.
The theory test is in Danish and is managed by the police. You also need a translator for the theory test as well as for the driving test. The police and "borgerservice" can provide a list of approved translators that you can contact.Note that there are limited slots available for test with translator, especially outside Copenhagen. Please be advised that the translator will charge for this service.
The driving instructor/ kørelærer might be able to provide this service.
Note that if you don`t pass the theory test the fee for new one 870 dkk(June2011) to borgerservice
Driving Test / køreprøve
When you have passed the Theory Test, you need to make an appointment for a Driving Test with a suitably qualified Driving School/køreskole, please note that there can be a "waiting line" by the police for the driving test for several weeks. The Driving School will probably suggest that you have a few lessons with them, which you will be charged for. All driving schools/ køreskoler provide a car with "stick" and only a few provide cars with automatic.
Danish EU drivers Licence
When you have passed the Driving Test, the police will issue a new Temporary Driving Licence/ midlertidig kørekort normally valid for 1-2 months. The proper Danish EU licence will follow in ordinary mail 3-4 weeks after you have passed the Test.
Your previus licence will stay at the police/ borgerservice, and when you leave EU, you the can exchange back. Also if it is only temporary you go home.
ALL these problems you can get more details on trafficrules.dk especially in forum you find help
good luck with licence--- Charly
Guide section: Driver's licence
Latest guide articles
- Residence permit and CPR number
- Forgot to buy a ticket?
- Cake Nation
- Drivers license in Denmark
- Handball in Denmark
- The green card in Denmark
- Pharmacist jobs and salary in Denmark
- Looking for other parents!!
- buying/renting a bicycle in copehagen
- Live and work in Denmark
- I looking for (VAN) driver, or personal …
- Im chel from Cebu Philippines.
- hi everybody
- Looking for model girls for fashion films
- Migrating to Demark!