Expat blog Thailand  Register now

Retiring in Thailand

I have lived in Thailand for over a year now, on a variety of visas. This week I applied for and received a Retirement Visa, based on proof of monthly income earned abroad, 65,000 Bhat per month. I should mention that I am 60. I had been on a Non B, visa, the first 90 days set to expire Feb 1, 2010., with Work Permit. My employer did not make deductions for my taxes and social insurance and did not register me with these agencies, preventing me from getting an extension on the Non B. So I left the job and changed the visa.

Here is what you need for retirement visa. Application form, Photo, 1,900 Bhat, copies of all pages of your passport with all visa and entry/exit stamps for Thailand. Rent receipts and possibly a form from your landlord stating where you live. A map of your residence.

Affidavit from your embassy stating that you receive 65,000 bhat per month in pensions or other income, so that you do not need to tie up your money in a bank account here. Or you can show a deposit in a Thai bank for 800.000 Bhat, seasoned for two months before you apply. Or a combination of both, money on deposit and monthly income from abroad., regarless, letter from embassy for immigration, does not need to be translated.

I had to hand in my Work Permit and get a receipt from the labor office to show Immigration, but the actual Work Permit was returned to me.

This was probably a little easier for me as I already had the Non B visa. So now I have a visa valid until February 1, 2012, that I can renew yearly thru the same process. I do not have to leave the country every 90 days.If I want to leave the country I must purchase re-entry permits for  1,000 Bhat each or Multiple for 3,800 Bhat. These must be pruchased in advance of your travel from Immigration, they cannot be transferred from one passport to another if you will be cahnging passports soon, before Multiple re-entries may be used. You still must report your address every 90 days or leave the country before 90 days and your 90 days starts again from the date that you arrive.


Last update on 14 January 2011 11:00:08


  • ixs
    ixs 27 June 2014 13:54:03

    never heard about TESOL until i hit this site. I think they keep that quiet here because they're scared people might run off. My last attempt was a bach in psychology on open university, costing a total of €14.000, which i had to break because , well youth unemployment is 23% so 40 year old guy who falls between the subsidy ranges of 'fresh-out-of-school' or '50 and work longer' (like myself) couldnt even get a job setting coffee tables or doing dishes over two years.
    TESOL-course comes from $1100 from what i just read, compared to what i just said here thats dirt cheap
    this site is VERY interesting, thanks a lot for everything here

  • tallpoppy
    tallpoppy 28 May 2013 04:50:49

    I am also a regular visitor (from Australia, over the last 10years) and am looking to retire to Thailand towards the end of 2014. I am 55yo now and want to live a little before I am too old. So when I do come to retire:

    Step 1: 30day visitors visa
    step 2: 90day Non-immigration
    step 3: retirement visa after establishing the required financials. For me a couple of million Baht in the bank.
    Step 4: renew retirement visa on an annual basis.

    It that the jist of it ?

  • Gary Rosentreter 04 May 2013 20:39:18

    Thank you very much for your info. That was very helpful.

  • Mister George
    Mister George 19 September 2012 15:28:14

    Thanks for the info.. I don\'t have any Visa at this point.. I have just been visiting a couple weeks at a time but looking at staying much longer and eventually retiring.

    What Visa do I ask for? I am from Australia and we actually don\'t apply for a Visa when we visit.. We just get to the airport and they stamp me in and I go through.. the only thing I fill out is a entry card that asks how long I am staying.

    This is quite confusing so I guess an Australian ex pat might know.

  • colabamumbai
    colabamumbai 19 September 2012 10:45:39

    Depends on your visa and if it is a multiple entry etc. If it is good for a year and you have to leave every 90 days, you can just go to Laos or anywhere for a day and come back. If you do this just before the year is up you can get an extra 90 days making it 15 months. Again I do not know what type of visa you have.

  • Mister George
    Mister George 19 September 2012 03:32:29

    Just to understand the 90 days visa thing because I get different stories. I come to thailand for 90 days and the I go home for a week and the I can come back for another 90 days.. and so?

    I was told 90 days max in a 12 month period?


  • KNB
    KNB 12 May 2013 17:01:06

    When you arrive as a visitor you are given a 30 day visitors visa. If you want to stay longer: before you go apply for a visa from your local Thailand consulate/embassy. The price and any more info will be on the consulate website.

  • juanmmr
    juanmmr 17 August 2011 10:53:53

    Congratulations, and have a good time.
    Nice article

Expatriate health insurance Thailand
Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Thailand.
>> Click here
Flights Thailand
The cheapest price for your Thailand flight tickets
>> Click here
Moving to Thailand
A few tips from professionals about moving to Thailand.
>> Click here
International Money Transfer
Currency Exchange and Money Transfer Specialists
>> Click here
Travel insurance Thailand
Don't worry and travel happy across Thailand.
>> Click here