Salary for a Lecturer in a good university in China

Hello,

I am Russian and currently working in the US. Got PhD in the US in Humanities. I recently had a job offer from Nanjing University, the salary they offered me was 180000 RMB per annum. I would also have to pay for renting an apartment from this salary and they did not want to pay for my relocation expenses. Since I also had a job offer from the US academia, I decided to stay in the US. In my opinion, if I have PhD and experience + publications, i was thinking that the salary starting from 250000 RMB per annum would be the amount for which I would agree to move to China. 180000 RMB per annum seemed to be somewhat lower. Am I correct? Or did I just want too much? Thank you.

I will advise you just to negotiate for other benefits like free accommodation, free utility bills, and monthly bonuses. If they can give you that I will advise you to take it and give it a try. 180,000 per annum is 15,000 RMB per month which is about 2200$. Back in the state, a teacher gets around 3,500$ to 4,500$ a month but I don't know if they have other monthly benefits and free accommodation. Also, in China you are not going to pay any taxes, mostly the school has to pay for that. Besides that living here is not costly as living in the States. Lastly, I will say sign for only one year contract. After one year you can negotiate for a better salary or move to a different school and get about 3,500$ to 5,000$ because experience in China counts a lot. and you gonna have free time as a lecturer to do your free things. Basically, you will teach less than 8 hours per day. I wish you all the best.

Cheers!!!!! 

@tchelpanovakat 👋. My thoughts.  You are better off accepting the US offer. With the amount offered at ¥180,000 p/a before tax (I believe), hmm, you be depressed. Worst, if you have responsibilities.

@tchelpanovakat 180,000 p.a. is not a great salary, but universities usually pay less than high-schools or training centers. On the other hand, you have no office hours, lots of free time, great work environment, freedom to design your courses, etc. If money is the priority, try to find opportunities with the International Schools.

@A-Doc Yee, agreed. There are definitely pluses and minuses here. I do not think it is a bad offer. The problem is that I also had an offer from the US, so had to choose. If I did not have to choose, I would pick this offer without regret. But, since I am a Russian citizen, not American citizen, it would be hard for me to get a work visa in the US, should I need one again. That is the problem. I still completely do not mind moving to China, yet, it would be easier for my heart if the salary would be higher, so that I do not regret moving. But otherwise, I completely agree that academics in the US are very overworked, office hours, service etc. is an addition to teaching and writing

@A-Doc What is International School in China?

@AlinaBMY Thank you very much!

@AlinaBMY and yes, it was before tax. They were not clear about it in the beginning but, when I asked to clarify, it appeared that it is before tax.

@tchelpanovakat I am a college professor in the US.  For full time lecturers, the salary range us from $5500 to $10,000 per month (35,000 to 65,000 rmb PER MONTH ).  This rate is for full time tenure track faculty.  I am an adjunt and make $3,500 per month based on 65% full time employment.  So, you can definitely make more in the US.  But, the taxes take 35% and you pay your own expenses and it is very expensive to live in the US right now.  So, if you could negotiate a free apartment in China, the 2 offers would be equivalent.   Then, I would recommend the China offer because of anti-China, anti-Russian attitudes es in the US now.

@tchelpanovakat I think you are absolutely right and you took a good decision