Medical expenses

I have a girl friend in prey veng provence who told me she is very ill with dengue fever and will not get any treatment or see a doctor as she has no money and wants me to send $300 for 3 days in hospital and $50 to see a doctor, is it true if you have no money then you get no treatment in Cambodia.

It sounds about right I have been in Cambodia for 20 years and they always add a little extra to what they really need

It's better to belong to a medical insurance company

It is true that medical insurance is best because unlike the NHS in the UK, here is the same as the USA etc. You have to pay for everything.
The problem with Dengue fever is there is no cure. Only paracetamol taken on a regular basis will help regulate the bodies temperature.
Your girlfriend will not be able to move if she has dengue fever as it is know as broken bone disease and very uncomfortable and painful.
As long as she has plenty of fluids and some basic food, she will be best off at home with a fan or AC.
She just needs electrolyte drinks... Here can buy a big box of Royal Dee that you just mix with water and drink. And as I said before paracetamol. Here can buy Tylenol from the pharmacy they are very good for her condition as they are strong - 650mg per pill (only to be taken every 8 hours x 2 pills).
They are slow releasing and for muscle aches and pain.
This is my recommendation and would only cost you $20 maximum.
Going to the hospital will cost hundreds and they will only put her on an IV drip and then give her paracetamol then send her home or keep her in hospital for her (well your) money.
Hospitals are here to make money and that's the bottom line.
I hope that helps you.

I have recently been in a reputable local medical centre in Siem Reap. The cost of seeing a doctor for a Khmer is $15, a night in an open ward is $10. For foreigners, double that. The medical care was Western standard but stops at medical. Food, washing, toilet etc are up to the patient to arrange. Lucky I had someone to take care of me since I have no family here.

Thank you for your reply, I will send the money today, regretfully past Cambodian girl friends have lied and taken advantage of me, Ah Kun.

Why don't you just pay for a blood test to begin with if your in doubt.
That way she can send you a copy of the results (date stamped) with cost of the test.

How does she know it's dengue fever???

Dear Steve p42, thank you for your reply, unfortunately there is no postal service in or out between Australia and Cambodia due to the COVID-19 lock down, why this is so as I can send a 500 gram envelope via Dhl for the princely sum of $97 but not through our postal service for under $7, I will send the money and trust I am not being taken for a ride.

Dear hdgh29, thank you for confirming what I suspected, I think I have been taken advantage of by being told by soon to be ex girlfriend that it was $50 to see a doctor and $100 for a bed, yes I am aware that you have to provide and pay for any extra,s even if you need a bottle to pee in or a bedpan plus of course food and water etc. I was under the impression that if you arrived at the hospital and had no money to pay you were given a number and told to wait outside, if you can pay then you get preference and be admitted straight away, no waiting, thanks mate and I cannot wait to get back to Cambodia once this COVID-19 problem has been sorted, Ah Kun.

Well I suppose there are a lot of private clinics that charge a lot more, but in terms of medical care the local hospitals are just as good. Maybe the bigger private ones provide meals and personal care. I was lucky, I was in for nearly 2 weeks and my GF stayed the whole time, Slept every night beside my bed, blanket bathed me, spoon fed me when I couldnt sit up, went outside to pharmacies to get the prescription meds etc. Cleaned me up after 'accidents'. The whole deal including saline drip, daily antibiotic injections and other stuff they pumped into me cost roughly $220. So your GF asking for that much is definitely on the high side, unless she plans to go to a clinic staff by European doctors

To hdgh29, I was admitted to camlette hospital in Phnom Penh with a stroke in 2018, fortunately I had travel insurance and should have gone to one of the private hospitals which charge a small fortune, however they put me in a room and charged $100 per night, I was later transferred to a private room at $120 which had a cold water shower and a refrigerator and I had to buy any extras etc. X-rays, scans food etc. the treatment was 1st.class and I was discharged after 5 days and i think the insurance people transferred $900 , into my account, after all this you obviously live  permanently in Cambodia and my question is, I am at an age where I cannot get travel insurance and intend to live there  permanently either in semi reap ( which I like) or chroy changvar, based on your report if I put $4000 us. On a separate travel card do you think it would be enough for medical costs, thank you for taking the time to reply and any advice you have would be appreciated. ( pub street is a big improvement on Bangla road in Phuket)

No, not true.

It seems your girlfriend has chosen a private clinic or hospital and wants you to foot the bill.

She can go to a referral hospital and pay just a fraction of what you stated.

Cheers

Joe

Dear Village,

I am 59 years old and bout an insurance plan from Aetna.  It is called Aetna Interglobal.  It covers more than I need, but not most outpatient procedures.  It costs me $329 US monthly.  A great plan.  My broker is Mark Seymour, a grat man in my opinion.  If you want his email, just let me know and I will send it to you.

Best,

Dr. Stephen J. Ronzano

Dear sronzano, firstly thank you for your reply, adding up the monthly amount which comes to $4000 per year it would, in my case be better to put $4000 into a separate bank account in Phnom Penh and put the credit/ debit card away for use as needed, however thank you once again, this time last year I was intending to move to either siem reap or Phnom Penh from Australia and it looks like with the COVID-19 spreading like wild fire is just becoming a dream, Ah Kun.