Sports in Nicaragua

Hello everyone,

The Olympic Games are now just a few days away and we would like to talk about sports.

What sports are the most popular and/or unusual in Nicaragua?

Are sports facilities easily accessible there? Where and how can one find sports clubs in the region?

Are there sports events regularly held in the country?

And you? What is your favourite sport? Which one(s) do you practice in Nicaragua?

Thank you in advance,

Priscilla

Old post but...Feeling chatty this Monday morning.

Sports in Nicaragua is a bit generic for a post but here it goes.

This place is different, while a lot of sports are being practiced here getting into their "communities" can take some work.

In general terms, I recommend BodyGym, for general fitness in an air conditioned environment they are hard to beat. One of them is on km 16 carretera a Masaya and the other one one that I know of, is between Metro Centro and Hilton Princess hotel on that same carretera (km 2, I'd presume). It's about 50$/month to join, though residents can do better with some bank or employer affiliation. Other more ubiquitous but less trendy places offer basic accommodations for sometimes as little as 250 cordobas/month.

My gig is tennis, as such we were dealt a hard blow when the public courts in park Luis Alfonso Velasquez were closed for renovation. They shall re-open to the public I'm being told after the Central American games  later this year. We're talking 6 courts here and a bevy of players of all abilities to hit with ( the better ones charge 150-200 cordobas per session).

Other venues include, Las Collnas (30$/month membership ), La Academia at Somoza's old country club ruins (ask to play or receive a lesson from Luis Marquez and you'll get in hassle free for 200 cordobas per class, El club Terraza with its 13,000$ plus membership and the newest of them all on the km 15 carretera a Ticuantepe (SportsSlam) is the best option for most, pre-Luis Alfonso re-opening. Hotel Ticomo also comes to mind here and for 100 cordobas you can play there but would have to bring someone to play with.

Other options are "private courts" at people's houses but I'm stopping short mentioning names here...sorry. But in most instances, you will be able to "borrow" (used)  balls or racquets.

I tend to discourage biking for safety reasons but cycling enthusiasts can also find clubs though none come to mind at the moment.

Water sports in general are pretty much all practiced from swimming to scuba diving but I'd defer here to someone who actually lives in a beach side community.

Sports for kids, like soccer and volley ball or basketball are available at Luis Alfonso but also at Galleria Santo Domingo amongst others. In both cases the facilities are surprizingly good and quite safe.

Well , pretty much done with the topic here though I'd suggest to anyone to visit the IND (instituto nacional de deportes) south of rotunda plaza Espaňa, there is a track and field facility, boxing and a crude gym there and someone should be able to steer you onto the right path for whatever sport that does not involve ice or snow.