India Consulate just ripped me off of my $250 Pls I need advise?!

My protracted visa run issue is already known here.  However, I just had a nasty experience at the Indian consulate in Ho Chi Minh City.

Here is the entire story:

On Friday, I went to the Indian consulate in HCMC to apply for one month tourist visa, after booking online the previous night. On getting to the consulate, the lady at the reception took my documents inside and after a while, returned to tell me that my visa has been granted in principle. That i have been issued with a single entry visa.  However, I must pay 6.3000,000.00 VND about $250. I was shocked when I heard this because I already paid the agent that booked the appointment $100 thinking it included visa fees. Nevertheless, I decided to go ahead and pay the amount to save myself further stress. But the lady again, insisted I must pay cash.

I called a Vietnamese lady who accompanied me and she helped provide the balance because I had only 3+ million VND with me.

After paying, they collected my passport,  Vietnamese visa and then conducted biometrics on me. Then I left.

This morning, I received a call from the consulate that I have to pay another 8 million VND otherwise my visa would not be issued to me. I was shocked and I told them that I can't pay a dime again. They either issue my visa or refund my money. The lady agreed that I should come and get the refund.  However, on getting to the consulate, they refused to give me the refund. That it was a new policy. Eventually, I left with my passport. No visa! no $250!

I'm currently feeling robbed and dehumanized. I don't know how to go about this to seek justice.

Pls can anyone help me with advise or pro bono services because I believe I have a good case and such inhuman acts shouldn't be allowed.

@godsontn

Wow.

Have you informed the agent you dealt with?

Contact the embassy in Hanoi and report it. Sounds like some low level greedy consulate employee.

I can't think of what else to tell you. Horrible predicament.

@Aidan in HCMC

The agent is based in India. I already informed him and he told me, a lawyer he just discussed with told me to report to police and follow it up at the court.

I'm just confused with the whole thing.

@Aidan in HCMCThe agent is based in India. I already informed him and he told me, a lawyer he just discussed with told me to report to police and follow it up at the court. I'm just confused with the whole thing.        -@godsontn

Let the embassy in Hanoi know, and that you will be going public with this if not rectified.

I'm sending you a PM with the name of a long-time member who may be able to put you in touch with a trusted travel agent used by other members of this forum. Let the agent know that the intent of your seeking a visa is for the purpose of doing a border run, and that the destination country does not necessarily have to be India. The agent will know which countries will be an easy entrance for you.

I don't want to wish anyone ill, however...

I seriously believe we are not being told the entire story.

Vsas for entry into Vietnam are never issued by foreign embassies.

The only embassies and consulates that get involved are foreign embassies and consulates of Vietnam outside Vietnam.

Also, what would be the advantage of hiring an agent outside of Vietnam to deal with a problem that can only be approved by the immigration department here in Vietnam?

It possibly makes sense if there was some sort of blacklisting that was keeping the person from reentering the country and they were using an agent attorney outside of the country to try and get the assistance of someone in the embassy to clear the person from the blacklist, which is also highly speculative.

During COVID we had someone complaining that their agent had moved to India and now would not refund the money they had paid to get a business visa issued.

As I recall that never turned out well.

I also see the distinct possibility that someone is leaving the country on a tourist visa but might be attempting to re-enter the country by purchasing an LD2 work visa.

Whatever the true situation, it just makes no sense under current immigration rules here in Vietnam that an unrestricted person would have to go through any of this in order to get a new tourist visa.

@OceanBeach92107

Everything I wrote is 100% factual, I didn't add or remove anything. I used the agent because my intention was to visit India, so I can reapply for entry back into Vietnam. I have never had any issue with immigration either in Vietnam or any other country. I'm a law abiding citizen wherever I find myself.

I also believe that whoever must come to equity, must come with clean hands. So, I don't any reason why I should lie or to say things that didn't happen. If I had done anything wrong, I won't even come online to talk about it.

This is a clear case of corruption at the Indian consulate. They must have seen my account balance which was in dollars and thought they could exploit me. I sold my lands and car back in my country. My wife and kids are also back in my country. I won't go through all these pains just to fool around.

If you need any further clarification/details, i can still provide.  I'm about reaching out to the Indian embassy in Hanoi and then some ministries in my home country. I'm willing to escalate this issue because I know I did nothing wrong.

Thank you

I paid $40 for  a 1 year evisa...suggest you do the same next time.

I paid $40 for  a 1 year evisa...suggest you do the same next time.         -@Klmeermpt666

How does one pay "...$40 for  a 1 year evisa..."?

Genuinely curious, as there is no such thing as a one year $40 eVisa.

I paid $40 for  a 1 year evisa...suggest you do the same next time.         -@Klmeermpt666

How does one pay "...$40 for  a 1 year evisa..."?
Genuinely curious, as there is no such thing as a one year $40 eVisa.

-@Aidan in HCMC

I believe he's talking about the 1 year evisa for India.

This thread... 🤷

How does one pay "...$40 for  a 1 year evisa..."?Genuinely curious, as there is no such thing as a one year $40 eVisa.        -@Aidan in HCMC
I believe he's talking about the 1 year evisa for India.This thread... 🤷       -@OceanBeach92107

Hmmmm, could be. Thank you for that.

In any event, an India eVisa is not available to Nigerians, hence godsontn having to visit the India Consulate.

Get used to it. When you finally get to India you are going to be ripped of many times daily.

I got a visa for 1 year, 2 weeks back, 40USD

indianvisaonline.gov.in,

got it after 1 day

I got a visa for 1 year, 2 weeks back, 40USD
indianvisaonline.gov.in,
got it after 1 day

-@Frede001

As was previously mentioned two comments before yours, The OP is a Nigerian passport holder and ineligible for that