I am French…sort of!

Hello/Bonjour!

My name is Diane and I currently live in Chandler, AZ. I was born in France to an American father and French mother. I was raised in the states.  My father was in the military and because of the time and politics I was raised speaking only English. It wasn't until high school that I began to learn French. At the age of 17 I made my first return trip to France and it was life changing for me. The two things that happened during that trip are I found my career choice (teaching high school French) and the burning desire to live in France to learn and embrace all that France, her people, her culture, her history  and her land have to offer. I have officially filed my retirement papers!! And now, I want to reach that life long goal of living in the land of my birth. Needless to say, I have a million questions! I am hoping this group will teach me and guide me as I chase this dream. Thank you for reading my introduction. Please do not hesitate to ask me questions and to share your knowledge,  experience and advice.

Hello Didowa,

I am a French born and raised citizen who immigrated to the US a little over 20 years ago.  Both my parents were teachers growing up.

Don't hesitate to reach out if I can answer any questions,

T.

I was born in Évreux but raised in the USA. I would like to,  FINALLY,  reclaim  my French heritage. If you have had a similar experience I would love to hear your story, learn from your experience, and will gladly accept any advice.

@Tanuki714

Thank you so much! My understanding is that I *should* be recognized as being a French citizen because of ”droit de pays et droit de sang”, I was born on French soil to a native French mother. However, my father had me naturalized as an American citizen as a teenager. So my first questions are related to that. Have you ever known anyone with the same situation? If I come to France do I need to have a visa? Do I just show up at the Marie and say here I am, here is my proof of birth, may I please have my French identification? 😂  Seriously, where do I even start?

Yes, droit du sol et droit du sang apply to you if you were born from a French mother on French soil.  This usually requires registration of the birth with the proper authorities at the time of birth or within a specific time period (as was probably the case with US authorities at the time).

I'm not sure what you mean by  »your father had you naturalized as a US citizen ».  If you have an American parent and your birth was registered w US authorities as such (assuming at the US consulate/embassy), then you had US citizenship to begin with (see all the stories about « unknowing US citizens » born on US soil of foreign parents who are being asked to file US taxes, as all US citizens are required to do, regardless of residency).

France and the US are fine with dual citizenship so this isn't a case of having to choose one or the other when you turn 18.

So if you were born in France with a French parent, you should be able to obtain a birth certificate from the city where you were born, which (along with other documents) will allow you to apply for a passport.  Details here: https://passeport.ants.gouv.fr/demarche … -passeport

If you are living abroad, you need to reach out to the closest French consulate or Embassy  and ask them what paperwork is required, in addition to your birth certificate, to obtain a passport.

Oh and just like in the US, you need visa or passport BEFORE you enter the country.  otherwise you'll enter as a tourist w the 90 day limit.

HTH

Hello Didowa dArizona,

Would it be possible to elabore your question?

The more precise you are, the more the chances will be to gather the necessary information.

Feel free to ask specific questions on specific topics.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

@Didowa dArizona 

Are you eligible for or do you have French citizenship from birth?

My understanding is yes I had it at birth.  I moved away before I was a year old, so I have never used it. By saying ”never used it” I mean I have no French identity papers or passport. I do not know how to establish myself as a citizen as opposed to being an American with a visa.

That is part of the reason I joined the group. I need help in asking the right questions. I want to make the move, I just have the added twist of  being French by birth. My understanding is that by ”birth right” I would not have to do certain things to move to France such as obtaining a Visa or work permit. It has also been suggested that my identification papers would be different and that I may not have to deal with the sane amount of red tape as others wanting to live in France. So yes, I need to elaborate. But I am so ignorant of the topic that I just don't have enough knowledge yet to ask specific questions.

@Didowa dArizona

I suggest you apply god a French passport and that's all you'll need to live in France.

@adrie14

here's the link for you

https://www.service-public.fr/particuli … 29?lang=en

Hello everyone,

Please note that I have added a couple of posts to this thread of the France forum for better understanding of the situation.

All the best

Bhavna

@Didowa dArizonaI suggest you apply god a French passport and that's all you'll need to live in France.        -@adrie14

As far as immigration is concerned, Adrie14 is correct.

First, get a  »full copy » of your FRENCH birth certificate (« copie integrale »).  You can request it from the marie of your city of birth.  I was able to request mine online (to be mailed) but it was a different city.  https://evreux.fr/mes-demarches/etat-ci … tat-civil/

Looks like you can go through service-public.fr for the online path.

Then check with the French Consulate in Los Angeles (since you're in AZ) or their website for their process for a FIRST passport for an adult.  For SF, documents to provide include:

• 2 passport photos, less than 6 mo old (DIFFERENT format from US one, you need to find where you can get those done near you)
  • Full copy of French birth certificate
  • US passport if you have both citizenships
  • Proof of address/residence: utility bill, drivers license etc.
  • If you want the passport to be mailed to you, a Fedex label and envelope

Typically the process is to make an appointment to hand deliver all the documents including filling out a form (yes, in French, I don't remember an English one being an option, at least not in SF).  Cost is 96 euros which you can pay bu card.

They will let you know when the passport is ready and you can go pick it up or they will mail it to you.

You must enter France on the FRENCH passport (same rule as the US) once you have one.  If you want to move to France and become a French resident (not just citizen), then the passport means you don't need carte de sejour, visa de travail etc.

However, you will need to obtain a French social security number if you don't already have one, obtain health insurance, etc.  Also note a US drivers license is only valid in France for a short time (3 months?).  Some states allow you to  »swap » your US license for a French one, I don't know if AZ does.  If not, you'll at some point need to get a French license which takes time and is way more expensive than in the US.

The French passport will alleviate all of the immigration related red tape but it will NOT help with the red tape surrounding health care and other administrations.  That is why there are services specialized in helping  »returning French people » (who have been living abroad for a long time) to navigate  »re-entry » so to speak.  So you need to be prepared for that.

HTH

@Didowa dArizona

I'm trying to respond to you but  Expat is blocking my response

@Didowa dArizona

Hello how are you,can we talk ?

@NLP Floride

Hello, where have you posted your reply ? Does it contain a link ?

Regards

Bhavna

@parimaleswaran881

Hello, are you looking for anything specific ?

Regards

Bhavna

@Tanuki714 Thank you so much for this insighful information! I truly appreciate it!

@adrie14 Thank you so much!

@Bhavna I typed a long response and hit the button SENT. I already have an account and want to know what you did with the message I sent to be read by the lady who is interested in moving France. I lived in AZ too and believe I can be helpful. There was no link whatsoever in my response.  Please retrieve the message and send my response to her. 

@Didowa dArizona Your French birth certificate should expedite things.