New members of the Philippines forum, introduce yourselves here - 2024

Hi all,

Newbie on the Philippines forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in the Philippines if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Newbie here - name is Rishi Pradhan, based in PH for 10 years and hail from India and Nepal - I was reading the other forums but most of the topics were from 2013 and does not seem to be updated timely.. question I am asking is if this website if active and maintained timely

@deepapradhan

Hello and welcome !

Might be inactive forums where there are not many members.

But the Philippines forum is pretty active : https://www.expat.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=201

Regards

Bhavna

@Julien

I am new to this website I will be in the Philippines Cebu February 1st hanging out throughout the Philippines until February 26th traveling solo was hoping to meet up with a fellow adventurer don't know where to post it.

@expander28

Hello and welcome !

You already have an active thread on the forum : https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1055506

Regards

Bhavna

Hello there!

I am not really new in the Philippines, but I am new in this forum.

My name is Alexandra, I am a cosmopolite Swiss who fell in love with this country long ago. I am back here after 4 years in my home place. I used to be a volunteer in Davao, then a social work student in Manila.

Now I am hoping to work in Manila, as an online French teacher (that's not new)  and hopefully as an artist. Yet, my dream is to make a difference for street kids and to work with/for them. Being an oddball, I don't know yet the how and the when.

What I love about the Philippines? The people first. I always try my best to immerse myself completely among the local population, and it's a rewarding experience. People will treat you as one of them!

It would be way more to say, but that's all for a first intro... 😊

@xandravon

hi Alexandra im steve from uk newbie to ph had holiday 2 weeks then permanent move in july if all goes well

going to live in burgos

@renegadesric529

Oh! That's a beautiful project. It certainly a big change between UK and Philippines ! I wish you all the best in settling down here. 1f600.svg

Feel free to message me if you want to know more on my experience in the country in case it can help you.

Just saying hi ,

New to the forum, my name is Michael, was in the Philippines last year for a month. Spent 2 weeks on Cebu  and couple weeks on Bohol. Enjoyed it  ! Coming back again in March for another month trying some new islands this time.

Not much into the tourist stuff any interesting suggestions are appreciated.

Eventually planning on doing 6 months there and 6 months back in Canada .

Cheers

@Deepsnow

Hello Michael !

Welcome on board !

Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself.

Should you need any info, feel free to create your own topic on the Philippines forum.

Regards

Bhavna

@Bhavna

Thanks!

@Deepsnow Welcome. There's at least one other member from Canaduh here in Cebu doing basically the same thing. Maybe Don will see this and respond. Or I can send him your direction here, eh.

@Julien Hi   I have seen lot's things about Philippines quiet I'm excited to work there people are understanding and good place to move I'm interested to move there thank you.

@roshanilkamble17

hi me too am moving over this year and looking forward to living ther

Hello everyone, my name is Joel, pronounced the same way you would say Noel. I am a true Canadian who decided to take a trip to the Philippines last year. Only after returning two weeks later did I realize that the Philippines had captivated my heart - I know it sounds cheesy but it's true. Finding a wonderful woman was also great motivation. Luckily for me she was not interested in coming to Canada, I guess I'm not an Afam, lol.

In a nutshell, I originally moved from Iceland to Canada in 1997. I studied computer engineering with a minor in business information systems, but somehow ended up as a safety coordinator at a construction firm. I started a residential foundation company, but ultimately I would like to set up a company to fund my new life in the Philippines. I suggested to my fiancée that we should donate a percentage of the profits to an organization that helps feed impoverished children, or create our own - not to get ahead of myself though.

Hello, Joel, welcome!

As a newby, you should know that foreign ownership greater than 50% probably won't float. Locals must be, as i understand it, a controlling party. The laws here specifically favor locals after 300 years of domination started by the Spanish. Likewise, you will probably need to get a visa to work here.

A work around may be to make girl the CEO. I am not a lawyer, but Danfinn (a regular poster...) seems very knowledgeable on legal matters.

Perhaps he might chime in...

@Skip Scott I believe that this law in the Philippines is truly a remarkable thing. I have witnessed numerous instances where foreigners have treated Filipinos as if they were second class citizen in their own country, which greatly angers me. It's good that you cant have too much ownership as a foreigner.

@Sweetbread2006

As a real American,  I find it interesting that your definition of a true Canadian is from Iceland. Confuses the mind, and maybe even Canaduh's immigration officers. Don't worry, Biden is planning an invasion anyways. At least that's what they say!

/end sarcasm

/end dry humor

Welcome to the forum.

IM AN OLD SUBSRIBER AROUND 8 YEARS AGO,, BUT JUST GOT BACK HERE TO INTRODUCE MYSELF.. IM A LOCAL HERE AND JUST LIVE HERE IN mANILA NEAR MALATE AREA AND Ermita area of malate.. if you just need help regarding the location and establishments here like the TOURIst spots and bars, malls .. thanks

Hi All,

New subscriber.  A couple years from retirement and intend to move to Philippines for a while, then maybe Thailand.  Will be single and bringing in a little over $3,000 per month plus a few hundred k in investments I can tap into as needed.  Hoping I can enjoy fairly Western style accommodations at first as I acclimatize.  From there, whatever happens, happens.

Welcome to the forum Plazz. Enjoy and learn. Visit many countries on your bucket list for retirement, a month here a month there and see if you like the country and cultures.

Western food in Asia is difficult to find the quality you are used to in the US no different from me as Aussie dude living here, I simply adapted and not looked back.

Western style accom will land you in an expensive condo or an expensive gated community. Come visit both countries first on a holiday and see for yourself.

Good luck.

Cheers, Steve.

Hi

Newbie and haven't yet been to the Philippines, but traveled several months per year to SEAsia for about 10 years. My best friend is seriously planning  a move to the Philippines for 5 or more years and to work remotely.  I am looking at the possibility too and am already planning an SRRV Extended Courtesy Visa as a US Air Force Veteran during a little disagreement in the area about 5 decades ago. I like warm and hot weather and am currently moving from Atlanta to Phoenix because winters are too cold. I'd like to chse the eternal 27c weather and be near the ocean. I'm currently researching Iloilo as the first choice, because it's not a huge city, but has lots of universities, history, hospitals and is supposed to be the cleanest city in the Philippines  (that I can afford and without horrible traffic(

Retired from Engineering and IT for a large International firm as a divisional officer. My hobbies include all forms of social dance and I am hoping to find or build new dance communities when I come. I also want to travel much more in SE Asia. There's a lot I haven't seen yet. I'll return once a year for my medical and 3 generations of offspring in the US. Newly widowed after several decades, there might also be someone of interest in the Philippines. 

This board seems to be a good one for info and I'm looking forward to interacting with the online community here.

Thanks for providing it and to all the contributors.

Hello allI am a single American living in Texas.As a new subscriber I am honored to be here. I would like to visit the Philippines or maybe move there some day. There is a lot to learn and to understand about the people and the culture of the Philippines. Any advise and guidance would be welcome.

@bryanspins thats a great choice.. ilo ilo , bohol or Leyte...  cheap and just loof for a property near the beach.. and find your girl there.. ENJOY... if you like to have guide in Manila just let me know im familiar with makati pasay manila area tourists spots so you wont get over charged...

Hello Everyone My name is Tayanja Banda from Zambia.Am not new in the Philippines,i have already stayed here for more than a year but am New on this forum.Hope to know more about the Philippines from other expats here.By GODS grace i will be getting married to a filipina this year.GOD richly bless you all.

welcome.

I'm looking to visit and maybe move there some day soon.

Hello,

My name is Todd. I plan on retiring to Cebu with my wife in 6 years. We are currently having a condo built in Mandaue and my wife owns land out in one of the rural provinces. She plans on building a house there once we move there. We are both in our mid 40s so we will be early 50s when we retire.

@violaceousnurse

Welcome on board Todd !

Feel free to create your own thread on the Philippines forum if you have any questions. Members will surely help you.

All the best

Bhavna

@Sweetbread2006  The only big fundation for steet children in Philippines is Virlanie, french fundation.

@expander28

Hello.  I would love to hear what you have to say about your experience.  I plan to travel solo myself after researching best time to go and best place to get.

gglo

@expander28
Hello.  I would love to hear what you have to say about your experience.  I plan to travel solo myself after researching best time to go and best place to get.
gglo

-@gglo

Welcome gglo.  Have you ever been to the Philippines?  Where in the Philippines would you like to visit?  There are plenty of people on here to answer your questions, point you in the right direction.

@Julien

Hello.  Definitely new to this forum.  My name is Gigi and I am a Filipina born in the Philippines but moved to US when I was 13.  Have been back to Manila area twice, last time was in 2004.  I have never been to the islands except Boracay the last time I was there.

I am a retired nurse, have recently sailed Mexico for almost 3 months.  This experience made me realize how much I love nature.  My goal is to stay at different islands for a couple months at a time with going home to California in between. 

My first choice is Siargao.  I am hoping to connect with someone who is already living there to find out what their experience is like.

-gglo

Gigi, good luck, sounds like fun.

@gglo

Never been there... But good Luck Gigi! (:

Hi everyone.  I'm David and I have been planning a trip to the Philippines for a few weeks. I'm retired and looking forward to visiting.

Hi everyone.  I'm David and I have been planning a trip to the Philippines for a few weeks. I'm retired and looking forward to visiting.

-@Gofffurman

Welcome David, hope we can help you.  Where in the Philippines are you headed?  Have you been to the Philippines previously?

Hello, my name is Michael, and I  am considering moving to the Manila area in mid-2024.

I am not sure if i can use my TFL there or not. If any of you have knowledge about that i would appreciate the information. I am looking forward to my move and meeting many of you.

Hi pop, welcome to the forum and enjoy.

Please excuse my ignorance but what is a TFL?

Cheers, Steve.

Tricare for life. it's the military's health plan for retirees.

Thanks pop.

Understand but is the TFL available here in PH? Ask your provider as I see many Vets not getting the care here that they need and from what I've read only in Manila, Vets should chime in here as most likely I'm wrong.

Aside good luck.

Cheers, Steve.