Retiring to Gibraltar

Hi everyone just joined this forum for some advice   as i am finding it difficult getting answers,    as an English pensioner   1.  can i emigrate  to Gibraltar and register  for health care  ?      2.  and what else do i have to register for  ?      3.  and first of all while doing this do i have to have an address on Gibraltar   or can address be in  La Linea   ?    4. and can i travel between Gibraltar and La Linea  or do i need a Visa  ?        all advice will be greatly  appreciated as i do not have much idea at present .      regards  Birt  .

You can Google and get a lot of these answers, but I can answer one or two, you will need an address in Gibraltar to live there (retire there) you will need to have a certain amount in your monthly pension to be able to live there. To buy a priority in gib beyond a studio apartment is extremely expensive (equivalent to London prices!) land shortage and ever growing population. The rental market is very high, I have a small studio which is little more than a hotel room with a small kitchenette and the rent is £1000 per month, however the utilities are very low. Water and electric are subsidised and cheap complete to the U.K. internet is around the same. You cannot live in La linea and have residency in Gibraltar as la linea is Spain. And if you are British then you have all of the trappings of Brexit to now live in Spain! (Thanks to all those who voted to leave!!)

hope it helps but yiou can find a lot of info on line

Hope the information below is helpful:

1.  can i emigrate  to Gibraltar and register  for health care  ?     

British national could live/retire in Gibraltar without issues. I have a neighbour who sold his home in UK then bought a property and live in Gibraltar now

2.  and what else do i have to register for  ? 

Tax and local ID card perhaps

3.  and first of all while doing this do i have to have an address on Gibraltar   or can address be in  La Linea   ?   

Must be in Gibraltar not Spain

4. and can i travel between Gibraltar and La Linea  or do i need a Visa  ?   

Yes, no need a visa for short stay, but nowadays the Spanish side would stamp your British passport every time you pass through the frontier border

@saarahhyder Hi sorry about delay in replying , have been trying to log in for 2 days am not very good at computers ,  and had lot of problems all come at once  to sort out, your reply has been very helpful, a lot of stuff on google is misleading or out of date ,  can you tell me is Gibraltar in the  E U  ?   

regards   birt .

@Rocklet Hi thanks for your reply ,  its been very useful,   

1. are Gibraltons the same as us in the UK and can only spend 3 months in Spain and have to leave , ?     

2.  i thought Gibraltar was in the EU, ?           

3. if Gibraltons want to live and buy a property in Spain can they just move there or do they have to get a visa like we have to do in the UK  ?     

any advice will be greatly appreciated as its very difficult to come by,    regards   birt.           

Gibraltar is like UK no longer part of EU

Gibraltarians have Gibraltar ID card, then perhaps no stamp to pass the frontier border, even no limit to stay in Spain?

Currently the treaty negotiations for Gibraltar are still ongoing, however optimistic still better check out the latest policy which could be changing over time

Good luck and all the best!

@saarahhyder        Hi,     i am still a little confused ,  probably repeating  my self ,   but say   if i was like yourself   and i lived in my own property  in Gibraltar and was a resident  and registered with an  ID card   can you cross the border into spain without having to get your passport stamped  ?           and how long could you stay in Spain   ?    is there a limit    ?                regards    birt.   

@birt     hello, can any one answer my questions  above this one marked ''report #7''  dated 12-july-23 where i asked  saarahhyder  but got no reply,  any help will be very appreciated,    regards  birt.   

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/ … elections/ Another not completely impossible scenario, better off stay in Gibraltar than Spain, if you have business in Gibraltar