Rental Apartments for XPAT's

I have recently seen many post about short term rentals and long term rentals. As an American XPAT living in the Dominican Rep for over 24 years, and recently retired here the last 4 years, I have seen, observed, worked with Govt, introduced a leading telecommunication firm to this country 9 years ago, and from my living experience I would recommend in your search you may want to ask the following questions and what is important to you for your rental.

POWER/UTILITIES/KITCHEN

1. Is Back Up power included?
  2. Do you have Battery backup?
  3. Are you on a 24 hour circuit
  4. Area north coast most Electric is prepay and some areas on the city are prepay meters
  5. Is the electric , cable bill in the owners name or you need to establish?
  6. Ask for the most recent 90 days of utilities bill for your unit/place, this is to verify electric consumption average and cable cost
  7. D you have fiber connectivity or just copper? If no fiber your speed will be between 3 to 50 meg
  8. Ensure you have full access to the location/meter and are able to verify it's ONLY YOU connected to the meter, and lines for your unit. (this is more if you are not in a close campus units or high rise) 
  9. Does your rent include all appliances
  10. Does it include washer and dryer? (if important to you) ?
  11. Where are the major grocery stores?
  12. Does your place include a parking space or where do you park if you have a car.
  13. Where is you water source coming from, ie; tank up top of the unit or from the street directly to your unit.
  14. Rent is normally 3 months prepay, first/last/deposit

Other XPATs and others may want to add to this thread and any recommendations for your search.

If I can be of any assistance please feel free to message me.

Best Wishes And good luck in your search

Christopher

@CHRISTOPHER DAVID56 Great resource for renters! Thanks for compiling!

@CHRISTOPHER DAVID56

That is an excellent summary.  1f60a.svg

Thank you for the wonderful pointers!

Great summary.

One correction, most of north coast is not prepay meters. As far as I know it's east coast Punta Cana area offering these.

In non touristy big cities renters will also be asked for a guarantor or fiador!  This is not common in touristy areas!

Also check to see if your mobile phone has signal inside the house! I once had an apt that only had signal on the balcony!

@planner

Agree, was going to edit but was more talking about the Punta Cana area for prepay electric.