Do I have to exit Vietnam via the exit point I give on my E visa?

Hi

The e-visa application form asks for both the entry and exit checkpoints, as well as visa valid from and to dates.

I know the date I am flying into Hanoi, but I'm currently unsure if I will fly from Ho Chi Minh or cross by land into Cambodia, or the exact date I will exit.

Presumably I can just make the exit date, 30 days after the entry date?

But if I choose Ho Chi Minh as my exit point, and then turn up at a land border to exit, will I be refused?

Any advance gratefully received.

Hello edandsuet, and welcome to expat.com!

Hi
The e-visa application form asks for both the entry and exit checkpoints, as well as visa valid from and to dates.
I know the date I am flying into Hanoi, but I'm currently unsure if I will fly from Ho Chi Minh or cross by land into Cambodia, or the exact date I will exit.

But if I choose Ho Chi Minh as my exit point, and then turn up at a land border to exit, will I be refused?

-@edandsuet

There have been reports from expat.com members of their exiting VN at different crossings other than that which had been indicated on their eVisa application, with no problems. I'm assuming you have not yet received your approved eVisa. When you do, you will notice that no exit point is indicated. There is however, an entry point, which according to further reports must be respected.

That being said, I want to thank you for your question. It reminded me of recent conversations with some expats here on Phu Quoc Island which I had forgotten to post to the forum.

As you may or may not know, the international airports in VN are manned by officers of VN's immigration police, while the land border crossings are manned by VN's military (makes sense). Reports from my conversations here with a couple of expats is that, as of late, the military officers at the land border crossings have begun asking for a copy of the current eVisa before issuing an exit stamp. The two expats who told me this had both exited at the Ha Tien,VN/Kampot,CAM land crossing, though on different dates. One queried the military officer as to why it was necessary to show the current eVisa when exiting, and he was told that the officer wanted to see it to confirm the passport's stamp validity. Apparently the military and the immigration officers do not have access to the same information in their systems. One expat did have a hard copy, while the one who questioned the officer was able to show a copy from his phone, which sufficed.

Of the many expats I have spoken to regarding border-runs/crossings, these two people were the only ones to mention that they were asked to show the current eVisa. Worth mentioning is that both these instances occurred in the last 2 weeks. It may be that the personnel at the land crossings, having before acted in a laissez faire manner, have begun scrutinizing eVisas at those exit points.

My advice to you, if at all possible, is to decide which crossing you will (most likely) be using. In the event that your decision changes, and since you are in HCMC, it will be easy enough to visit the immigration office in D1 to apply to have the details on your eVisa changed. Allow 10 days from date of application for the change to be processed. I believe the eVisa application says "intended exit point", or some such, so I would not anticipate any trouble having the change made.

Again, welcome to expat.com.

When you have time please let us know of your experience with this. We would certainly appreciate it, and your feedback/tips/observations will help others.

P.s. Not sure whether the default 29 days is still showing as an exit date. It could be advanced, at least until recently, by one day. See here for details. (link)

Hi

-@edandsuet

Sorry. I missed your statement, "...or the exact date I will exit."

You can exit VN at any date prior to the expiration of your current eVisa.

Hi

-@edandsuet

Sorry. I missed your statement, "...or the exact date I will exit."
You can exit VN at any date prior to the expiration of your current eVisa.
-@Aidan in HCMC

Also ON the date of expiration

FWIW I last exited VN about a month ago via TSN Saigon not Hanoi as I had specified on my evisa apication, with no issues. I had allowed time and budget to make it back to Hanoi if needed though.

Numerous emails to the evisa email address to ask about this scenario had of course elicited no reponse, so I thought I'd just risk it.

FWIW I last exited VN about a month ago via TSN Saigon not Hanoi as I had specified on my evisa apication, with no issues. I had allowed time and budget to make it back to Hanoi if needed though.

Understood. At the int'l airports you are dealing with immigration officials, who of course have full access to your eVisa application(s). Land crossings involve the VN military.

Good to hear you had no trouble.

Numerous emails to the evisa email address to ask about this scenario had of course elicited no reponse, so I thought I'd just risk it.
-@hamabeo1923

I'd be gobsmacked to hear otherwise, from anyone, anywhere :)

Thank you for the report.