New members of the Belize forum, introduce yourselves here - 2023

Hi all,

Newbie on the Belize forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in Belize if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

@Julien @everyone

hello-

Our family is thinking of moving to Belize from Colorado! I have a school aged child, going to be in 7th grade. I'd like to look at Ambergris Caye or Placencia. What are the school options?

Hello Cee Buyer,

Welcome to Expat.com 1f601.svg

You should subscribe to your other thread > Information on schools in San Pedro, Placencia, Ambergris Caye

This way you won't miss any new messages posted there.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

Hola fellow sojourners

I am currently in Belize on Ambergris Caye, hoping to make this my new home... having arrived here in late 2021 from the lovely (but cold) country of Canada.

I am presently exploring the options between Temporary Residence or the QRP route.

I look forward to making Belize my new home and sharing the experience with others who have done it before me and those who will do it after me.

Any insights from those doing the same and/or who have completed the process are most graciously received.

Warmest regards

Carl K

Hello everyone!

I hope everyone's 2023 has been happy and healthy so far! 😃

We are planning on rehabbing our home in the Midwest to sell it and use the proceeds to relocate down to Belize with our 2 cats.

After going back and forth for several months, it seems were pretty solid that we will likely build a new home. Nothing big or fancy, just a modest sized home - 1000 sqft were thinking.

Were thinking Cayo District is the spot for us, as it seems like some of the larger plots of land meet our expected budget, once we sell our home here in the state.

Located this awesome forum when looking up costs of installing septic systems - saw that the folks on here are extremely helpful with getting information out there and thought we'd be a great fit for the community, as we travel on this adventure and transition.

Were excited! We fear no change and were so beyond ecstatic to leave behind the world of consumerism as we know it lol.

Thanks for listening/reading along, if you got this far 😋

@kenbrando

Welcome!  My wife and I have a similar plan as yours. I have a job in Belmopan starting Aug, and will be moving from the US to Cayo. We decided it would be better to build, so we can pick the land and specify the house.

Using search here, I've found answers to a bunch of questions, asked and answered previously. Pleasantly helpful folks here!

Hi everyone...my wife and I are planning on retiring in belize in the next few years. But in the mean time we are looking for a long-term rental one bedroom is fine but prefer 2 bedroom....somewhere between 500 to 800 dollars US a month. Also would be very interested in a rent to own situation. Looking forward to paradise...lol

Hello Daniel,

Welcome on board !

You may have a look at the ads listing in the Housing in Belize section of the website and even post your own "looking for" ad in the dedicated housing section.

All the best

Bhavna

Hi folks,

My name is David and I am from the southern part of the US and have been prayerfully considering a move to Belize within the next few months. My boys are grown and it's just me. Not exactly sure where in Belize. I will rent until I get the lay of the land. I have read that Corozol has less rain and is close to the Mexican border for good shopping. I like the sound of less mosquitoes close to the bay with the breeze being cooler but not sure if I want to pay that much. I also her Cayo is a good affordable option. Does anyone know of any good affordable long term rentals in either town or a good resource in addition to this site? Hopefully see you soon!

All the best,

David

Hi David

We looked around Corozal and considered it for ourselves. The people are wonderful, kind and welcoming. The landscape isn't the most beautiful part of the country, so there's fewer tourists. When it comes time to buy, your real estate dollar goes a long ways.

Sarteneja and surrounding areas presents a nice opportunity. It takes 2 ferry rides to connect with the rest of the country by road, but that's about to change with the new road and bridges.

For rentals, I think facebook marketplace is the way to go. I haven't looked for long term rentals in Corozal,  because my job is in Cayo. There's a lot more listings there than on real estate sites like point2. A European couple we met in Corozal actually worked out a longer term rental agreement with a guy who does airbnb.

Wow! Thanks for the kind reply and great airbnb tip. I am from the southern part of the US and most people are super nice also. I hear Cayo is very nice also with more to do. I will check out FB marketplace also. Where are you guys from?

David

@darnold121 My suggestion is don't try to find long term rental or buy until you have some time in country. Get something for a couple weeks, then get out on foot, talk to folks, and look around, chances on getting something that is not advertised on line is high. A former moderator here coined the term "Sandals In The Sand". 😄

@Aerodex

I believe that is excellent advice. I appreciate you!

Hi there,

I am visiting Belize in later April. I will be experiencing the ATM cave and Placencia. Where else should I visit with an eye on possibly moving here for several months? I am traveling solo and love animals, jungle and volunteering.

Thanks, Darcy

@tcinbz  In what region would you want to investigate the possibility of settling down permanently as a second home? I was curious as to whether or not you were aware of any Canadian settlers in the country of Belize. When everything is said and done, it is a commonwealth.

@Bhavna Thanks, I recently insisted again about this "leasing a home in Belize" proposition with a buddy of mine in Toronto. Do you work in real estate? If so, please lend a hand. [link moderated]  I work with a Toronto-based firm as a partner and a licenced solar panel installation.  We're looking to rent a house that's near to the beach and a thriving community.starting in November 2023. A one-year lease would be the best.

Hello JG.Semexan,

I work for Expat.com and "try" to help members on the forum by guiding them through the different sections of the website.

Try to post an advert in the Housing in Belize section of the website for your house search and feel free to open your own topic on the Belize forum so that members may help you out.

All the best

Bhavna

God afternoon to all, I hope this post is within the guidelines of the site if not sorry. I'm a retiring general contractor in the northeast US and will be moving to Belize full time after the new year. Although I will be retired from my situation in the US I am still in good shape and very active and although I love the beach and all that goes with it I still would like to keep active, I have opened a consulting company and because of all the Expats building in Belize and not being in country in many cases I would like to be there eyes and ears for the construction project, Checking on job sits making sure all is going to plans giving updates, pictures and videos of progress and making sure of quality of work is up to expectations. Please give any suggestions or thoughts good or bad just looking for some input. Thank you Bob Ingles

@rjingleseverything Is your consulting company registered in the US or Belize?

Thank you!

@rjingleseverything So basically, you'll be a tourist (non-resident) working in Belize, on a position (supervisor/foreman) which would have many Belizean qualified to have?

Uhmmm....

That's a good plan. You'll get lots of clients.

Hi Folks,

My wife, 2 children, 2 dogs and I are headed to Cayo in December of 2023 from Ontario. This is our long term trial before we commit to purchasing land on which to start a regenerative educational farm and eco-tourism operation. I am a professional educator in the field of permaculture and I work remotely, as long as I have an internet connection.

We are also followers of the Weston A Price dietary principles, in case anyone else in Cayo does so as well.

We homeschool our children (7+12) and our first order of business is to begin forming meaningful relationships with similar families, and for our children to find peers their age.

Happy to be here!

Hello Al DAoust,

Welcome on board !

Feel free to open your own thread on the Belize forum, should you have any question about life in Cayo for a family.

It is indeed very important to gather as much information as possible before making a long term decision.

All the very best to you and your family

Bhavna

@Julien

Hi all,

We are originally from South Africa but are now Canadian Citizens. Wifey is joining the Washington University of Health & Science on Ambergris Caye in September. Hoping to drive from Canada (Vancouver Island) to Belize between June & end of July. Will be taking our two doggies with us. We are looking to buy some property in Belize.

Cheers,

Casper & Adri 1f60e.svg

Welcome on board Casper & Adri !

Looking forward to reading your questions on the Belize forum.

All the best

Bhavna

@Al DAoust

That sounds like a wonderful plan. Send a DM when you get to Cayo (or before). I'm an educator making the move this summer, and we are planning a little homestead.

Hi All,

Please to meet you all.  I am from Georgetown, Guyana, and I am in the early stages of planning a move to Belize. My Fiance landed a regional Climate Change job and will be based in Belize. I am a management consultant with 17 yrs experience (8 yrs in international development and 3 in big four International consulting).

My areas of speciality range from low-carbon development, agriculture and rural development, economic and digital policy, programme management, social development and resilience, infrastructure policy and planning, private sector - ESG, new business development, process transformation and optimization, etc.

@darnold121 Hi, I am in Mississippi and am prayerfully considering a move to Belize as well. I would like try to make a few connections with other American that are living in Belize or thinking about living there. Have you decided if you will be moving to Belize?

Thanks,

Joy

@africassie ***

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : Not recommended. Please exercise caution when advising members
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@Julien My wife and i looking to retire to placentia mid 2025. Just doing our research. Found this site searching about garbage service of all things! Lol

@Julien  please am planning to move, live & work.

Hi Ebo cobby,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Your introduction is unfortunately quite short.

Note that if you have questions related to expatriation or if you are looking for help from our community, you can easily create your own thread on the Belize forum.

However, please make sure to introduce yourself properly first and then go ahead with your query. ;)

Thank you,

Priscilla

Expat.com Team

Good afternoon everyone, my wife and I have been traveling to Belize for 8 years, we missed one year during the pandemic when everything was closed and shut down.  About three years ago, we started looking for a landing place to build a home. 

Finally closed on a lot; optimistically, we hope to be settled in by first quarter next year.  It's a modular concept using shipping containers.  So if anyone has experience with modular housing, we are all ears.

Look forward to meeting some of you the next time we travel to Placencia.

Harper

Hello Harper, welcome on board !

Your journey to Belize and your experiences over the years sound truly exciting.

Feel free to share your progress, ask questions, or exchange ideas with the community of the Belize forum. We're all here to support each other.

Looking forward to hearing more about your plans.

Bhavna

Thanks Bhavna,  we are coming along with the project and hope to be back in Belize for the foundation pouring within the next couple of months. 

It seems I have learned patience; as an officer in the military I had none.  Things were supposed to happen when I said it would happen and be completed when someone said they would finish the work. 

It takes a couple of years but you figure out how to be laid back, which is the main reason we picked Belize.

We will share our experience in building this property with the group and will absolutely reach out if we have any questions.  Have a great day,

Harper

@Julien

Hi @Julien

Thanks for the reply, am not currently in Belize but planning  to move there to work and if possible continue studying..

Am looking forward to embracing any support  and assistance u will give to me.

Kind regards

Eric

@tcinbz QRP completed Sept 2023, be there Oct 24 again; travel country and find area before buy. Happy to exchange info if you are inclined. Best to all. Steve

@cjoymccalla Hi. be in BZ again this October in a few days, from TX, leaving States for BZ. Have QRP, will travel country for awhile, looking for a spot, likely house. Retired OK. Reply if you would like. Steve

Hi all. My name is Dutch. 87 years old. female .Planning on moving to Belize with my dog. She is old too. I am trying to decide where I want to live. Belize City was my first choice but just not certain that is the best. Need to rent 2 bedroom  2 bath house CHEAP and safe I have never been to Belize. any and all helpful thoughts will be appreciated.

@Cee Buyer Both have an International Academy so a Google or Bing search should yield some results if you use those words. (Example: International Academy San Pedro Belize or International Academy Placencia Belize)

Closed